New York

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New York

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 01:35 pm
New York
Has anyone treveled to the state of New York? Any hospitals that are great or not so great? Any advice for a non-New Yorker? Thanks!

whitelillies

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 03:07 am
Re: New York
Stay away from Mt. Sinai! Worst nurses I have ever worked with. They actually take a minimum of 2 hours break to go sleep and expect the travelers to take care of their patients!

kateyes7

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 06:26 am
Thanks! What about Winthrope University Hospital on Long Island?

jkrz70

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 09:49 am
Winthrop
Hello- I am originally from NY and I have worked in quite a few of the hospitals there. As for Winthrop, I worked one of the TELE units there as a contract agency nurse and liked it very much, almost took a full-time position after working there for 9 months. I am not sure about too many other units there but L&D is nice there too. I gave birth to my second son there. While I was working there, I worked with a traveler and she liked it as well. Area is pretty good and close to a lot, very close and easy to get to NYC. If you have any more specific questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

kateyes7

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 12:44 am
Thanks jk! I am applying for a position in the CCU. It will be my first position and first time in New York. Can't think of anything to ask right now but will probably get back at you.

spracr

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:23 am
NY Travel
We took a summer position @ Upstate Medical and we are originally from NY. Winthrop is a busy trauma ER, but good to work at. Many hospitals on LI are swamped and the ER does not even give you a patient ratio as it can be up to 10-12 patients! Don't even think about Brookhaven as I intereviewed there and it sounds like your license is on the line daily!

NY taxation is a killer also. They average what you made for the year in and out of NY and then determine how much you owe on their terms...

Good Luck!

spracr

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:24 am
P.S. to previous post.
Wintrop holds ICU/vented patients for days... And many shared and cramped rooms...

whoofers

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2008 02:43 am
Re: NY Travel
spracr wrote:
We took a summer position @ Upstate Medical and we are originally from NY. Winthrop is a busy trauma ER, but good to work at. Many hospitals on LI are swamped and the ER does not even give you a patient ratio as it can be up to 10-12 patients! Don't even think about Brookhaven as I intereviewed there and it sounds like your license is on the line daily!

NY taxation is a killer also. They average what you made for the year in and out of NY and then determine how much you owe on their terms...

Good Luck!

I have to disagree with you about how busy Winthrop's ER is. Compared to LIJ, North Shore & others who aren't a level I trauma center, I found it on the slow side. Many times at night, we were patientless-never found it that way anywhere else in the area (NYC, western LI). I understand a lot has changed since I left there; but, I never had more than 6 patients at a time (unless i was covering the one hour break of the other nurse in my team).

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New York
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:14:27