What questions do I need to ask a new travel agency?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » What questions do I need to ask a new travel agency?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:09 am
What questions do I need to ask a new travel agency?
I am brand new to travel nursing. What are the most important questions to ask agencies when trying to decide on one? Thanks!

taylorj1

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 04:56 am
I'm new to this game too, I have asked about completion bonuses, extension bonus, insurance plans and how much that costs, as well as housing ( whether or not you take the money or have them set you up in an apartment or not)= Housing stipend. And of course rate of pay, which varies I have learned depending on where you want to go. What is your specialty and where do you plan on traveling to??

kateyes7

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 03:45 pm
I am a CCU nurse but float to all ICUs. I am looking to go anywhere. Would be happy with pulling from a hat. Any good suggestions? I am looking at Cali, NY, Denver, New Hampshire...anywhere.

taylorj1

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 05:44 pm
Wow that must be great to be able to move to anywhere, I am married with three children and am limited to how far I can go, so I envy you. Personally I would probably go for Northern California, wages are better and frankly the only part of the country right now w/o a disaster it seems. I have two nurse friends that are in N. Cali and are having a great time.

easchroth

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 11:02 am
Recruiter warning
All I can say about traveling is be careful of your recruiter! And I don't know how to know if they are legitimate or not...I unfortunately got involved with one named Jill Gilliland who owns Melnic Consulting out of Montrose Colorado.

After many unpleasant situations being harrassed and chased by Jill, I finally took a job in the DC area. It was a position I applied for independently of her services, however she had me interview for another position at the same hospital and therefore demanded that I use her for the position I had already applied for. I can tell you she did nothing useful to help obtain the position. At one point she had lost both of my interviews?! I can only guess that she was demanding an up front bonus? When I contacted each department they asked me to continue the interview immediately. However there was no way to get Jill out of the middle, we were concerned she would try to cause trouble for the hospital or myself.

When I accepted the job, she bragged that her skills were negotiation salary; she wasn't even aware that the position was a union position and therefore there was no salary negotiation possible. She so poorly requested a sign on bonus; that she agreed to (in writing), to pay $750 of the bonus to me. She said I would receive this money 30 days after my hire. Now almost 90 days later, she is refusing to pay and refusing my contact. The last time I talked her on 12/2/07 she said I would have to get it from her commision from the hospital. I dont understand why some one who agreed to pay me money is now demanding that I do her work, in order to the money she owes me???

I would like to strongly encourage nurses to never use this recruiter and to be warned about Jill Gilliland of Melnic Consulting.

Good luck and if any one has advice on how to research legitimate companies I would welcome the information

I welcome questions and comments.
Thank you, Elizabeth

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » What questions do I need to ask a new travel agency?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/07/2024 at 08:19:15