travel nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » travel nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nurse20

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 10:41 pm
travel nursing
I notice forums for info regarding travel nursing, since I been a nurse for 20 yrs and have also travel experience, I thought maybe someone could gather some insight from my experiences. I think travel nursing has changed alot since I did it for the first time about 10 yrs ago. Primary I feel that some companies want to protect their contract with hospitals and will not always back you in unsafe or difficult situations. Also some companies offer health insurance but will drop you if you have more than 2 weeks between assignments. Another thing is if you have a promblem with a new assignment even if it's hospital's fault it may take awhile to locate another assignment. Possibly a promblem if you need to have income coming in. Travel reimbursement is another thing to watch for. 30-40 cents a mile for cross country doesn't nearly cover gas, food and lodging. I have heard on one company that does provide vacation time paid. Be aware that most companies will charge you an hrly rate for any hours you miss for sickness, etc..... if you accept housing. If you are looking for away to see the country or gain insight into other cultures traveling is a great way to do it. Most fellow travel nurses who make great bucks provide their own housing or travel w/ a partner. Ask lots of questions, make sure your cover all bases important to you and not take let anyone recruiter or interviewer avoid giving you straightforward info.

RV Traveller

Reply Fri 18 May, 2007 02:50 pm
travel nursing too
might I add, read everything in the contract before you sign...I have seen night shift when I ask days, pay different than we discussed...housing allowance changes...and as for travel reimbursment...only got it once, for $250 in and out...last assignment told me it's coming (ha)

jules23

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 12:49 pm
Thank you for the heads up! I am a new traveler with Access Nurses. I've been able to confide in my recruiter and I can tell she's on my side. I'm completely happy with my experience so far, but it's always good to know how to protect yourself.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » travel nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 01:06:48