Strike Nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Strike Nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 05:19 pm
Strike Nursing
Has anyone been called about a strike in northern california?

catdevil27

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 07:03 pm
Do you know where in N. California?
I live in N. Cali and would be interested in finding out where this might be.

Jeanne Oralos

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 02:24 pm
Strike Nursing
I understand the strike is in the bay area--south bay.

neonurse

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 10:40 am
Cali Strike
The strike is scheduled for April 1st. I am on the list to work it. This will be my first strike...AND my first travel assignment. I have tried to do my homework and select the right company. My choices are OnAssignment, the one I'm traveling with, and Faststaff.

The hospitals are Stanford and Lucile Packard and are located in Palo Alto Cali.

Jeanne Oralos

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 10:50 am
Strike Nursing
Neonurse. Which agency did you decide to go with? I understand On Assignment is really good to work for. Will you be at Lucille Packard or Standford?

neonurse

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:34 pm
Re: Strike Nursing
Jeanne Oralos wrote:
Neonurse. Which agency did you decide to go with? I understand On Assignment is really good to work for. Will you be at Lucille Packard or Standford?

I am traveling with OnAssignment Jeanne and will be at Packard. Will you be there?

mjsobrn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:10 pm
pay for strike
Question Anyone think that 40 and hour seems a bit low? I just spoke with a staffing agency about the strike and this is what he quoted me.

neonurse

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:39 am
Re: pay for strike
mjsobrn wrote:
Question Anyone think that 40 and hour seems a bit low? I just spoke with a staffing agency about the strike and this is what he quoted me.

My contract says six, 12-hours shifts.

Jeanne Oralos

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:09 pm
Strike Nursing
To neonurse: no I won't be at LPCH, I'm thinking of doing the Wash DC strike.
To mjsobrn: I think $40 is low who quoted that?

troubletroubletrouible

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 04:30 pm
40 IS low
Dude, $40 is low....they pay MORE than that working there. The Stanford hospital and the hospitals around there pay BANK. Your $40 is low..should be $50

Dwaylah

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:08 pm
strke in bay area
A company called me and I am on their list for the strike and the pay is $54-$58 with a $1700 cancellation payment, round trip air fare paid and $35 per day per diem while you are there waiting to see what happens. Several of my friends signed up with on assignment at the $40 hr , $1000 cancellation pay, before they knew about this other strike company, they were not happy. You can make more in that area working Per diem. On Assignment should raise their hrourly rate.

DEE

nolinc

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2007 07:30 pm
what kind of accomodation are they supplying you with, and what is the name of the company (if you don't mind my asking). On Assignment was only offering a shared hotel room. Thanks.

sillysal69

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 09:28 pm
I think $40 an hour is extremely low. Who quoted you this and what is your specialty?

RV Traveller

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2007 09:19 am
Working strikes
It seems Travel Nurses are not the best treated nurses on the whole, why would anyone want to help break down conditions by crossing the picket line. These nurses are not striking just for money. They are trying to make things better for themselves and safer for their patients. Sneeking in to make a fast buck hurts all Nurses...We should all have the right to join a Union if we want

mixednuts4my

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2007 02:49 am
I agree with you RN Traveler. I think that by crossing the picket lines just damages the image of travelers that much more by making them look like they are just trying to make a quick buck regardless of who it might be hurting. It's pretty selfish and selfcentered if you ask me. Tisk Tisk

catdevil27

Reply Sun 6 May, 2007 08:48 am
So I guess it's ok to leave patients without care?

klogan1019

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 12:00 pm
strike nursing
I am sure the subject of crossing the picket line is touchy.
But, if the hospital would pay and treat the nurses better then there would be no strikes and loss of experienced staff. Also, if the hospital is willing to pay a company a large fee to be staffed then 1) they could and should be using that money to pay thier staff and 2) that is more bargaining power for the staff nurses theirselves.
3) when the strike is over the staff get their jobs back and hopefully what they were wanting in the first place. Lastly, I am and Arkansas nurse with 11 years experience, 5 in the ER, get paid $22/hr to work in a very busy ER. Heck yeah I am coming to California to make more money and not to take anyone's job. There are going to be travelers soon at my ER due to staff leaving and poor conditions. And yes, I WILL treat them well. We are proffesionals and should work to unite, not divide.

RV Traveller

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 03:24 pm
Strikes
No one wins a strike. The money lost by those on strike is lost and no matter the pay increase you cannot get it back. When workers strike in this day it is seldom only a money issue. In Nursing it's not hard to understand what those issues are. You can bet Management will not be hiring replacments one for one so be ready to earn you're money! And if Management is trying to break the Nurses Union, crossing the picket line is a slap in the face to all Nurses.

travtonya

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 04:29 pm
Re: Cali Strike
neonurse wrote:
The strike is scheduled for April 1st. I am on the list to work it. This will be my first strike...AND my first travel assignment. I have tried to do my homework and select the right company. My choices are OnAssignment, the one I'm traveling with, and Faststaff.

The hospitals are Stanford and Lucile Packard and are located in Palo Alto Cali.

Are you currently working the CA strike in NICU? How long is your contract for?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Strike Nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:26:23