rving as a travel nurse

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » rving as a travel nurse

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 09:12 pm
rving as a travel nurse
Question My wife is going to start travel nursing this coming winter, and we are going to be using an rv to live in. The question I have is, does anyone do that out there, and if so, how far in advance do you know where you are actually going. I kind of figured that if we went to like AZ in the winter there might be so many snow birds that we would need to make resevations at a rv place. I'd hate to have reservations, and then have agency say sorry, deal fell through. By the way she's an emergency room nurse, and has been for 28 years, is there a big demand for er nurses with lots of experience, hope so.
thanks

mindy 1

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 11:12 am
Hi,

I do not personally use an RV to travel in, but I have heard that this is the way to go. I am replying to your question about the demands for ER nurses. There is a huge demand for ER nurses, especially if you have a lot of experience. Arizona is a good place to start, they have a greater demand for travel nurses than most areas. I did the snowbird thing there last winter and it was great. I travel with Access Nurses and highly recommend them. They had a lot of options available in Arizona when I was looking and I got a great assignment that paid really well.

Love2travel

Reply Mon 8 Jan, 2007 08:01 pm
I have traveled to Arizona for the past few winters. THe demand for all types of nursing if over whelming. I am currently working in an ER in the Phoenix area. Some of the ER pods get shut down because there is not enough nurses. Some of the floor pods get closed due to no staffing. It is a nightmare. Last winter I worked in Tucson in a 60 bed ER. It was nothing to have the ER holding 40 admits for the hospital, thus the ER patients ended up waiting 18 + hours to be seen in the ER. This is not an exageration. It was awful. The medical profession is becoming overwhelmed and will only get worse with the abuse of the ER.

Travelangel

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2007 12:00 pm
Hey rn's hubby,
Yes!! Apparently there's a lot of nurses who travel this way. My husband travels with me as well, and we're saving toward this goal now. As far as getting there and having the deal fall through, if you sign on with a reputable company and go with a signed contract, that's not likely.
Even if it did [fall through], you couldn't be in better position to just get your next contract and move right on. We're even thinking this (an RV) could become the framework for our retirement. We have kids scattered across the continent, so will have many fringe benfits if we can make it work financially.
Are you going to keep a home residence?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » rving as a travel nurse
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 05:31:04