Smoking in California....yes, I know it seems trivial!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Smoking in California....yes, I know it seems trivial!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 01:31 pm
Smoking in California....yes, I know it seems trivial!

Hello everyone! I know this may seem a crazy question and kind of trivial, and at the very least UN HEALTH CONSCIOUS....but, I must ask anyway. Very Happy

I am currently on assignment in St. Louis, MO and I am wanting to take a travel assignment in California because I keep hearing of all the good things there, like staffing ratios that they stick to and automatic overtime for anything greater than 8 hours/shift, just to name a couple.....However, I do know myself and I know that on stressful shifts, long shifts and the like, that I will not be able to go a 12 hour shift without having at least 1 smoke break. I know California is one of the big states enforcing no smoking in public areas, restaurants, bars, etc. I realize most hospitals these days are non smoking campuses as well, but there is always some place close by to go and hide on these campuses. I am wondering if this is even an option at California hospitals. I worked at one facility in Florida that you could smoke outside and now since I left there, I have heard that nurses cant even smoke in their cars on hospital property. I think that is taking it a bit to far if you ask me.
I don't want this to be what stops me from going to a facility, but I would like to be able to unwind if I am having a bad day as well.

So, all you smokers out there..let me know what you have ran into out California way. I know I am not the only smoker out there any more...just one that still admits it! HA! HA!! Hope to hear from you guys soon. You can also email me privately at [email protected].

Thanks and have a GREAT DAY!!

Denise

Born2RunRN

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:44 am
SMOKERS?????
Yes, its me again.....I know that there is no way possible with all the nurses on this forum that NO ONE knows an answer to my question. Nursing as we all know can be very stressful, exhausting and challenging at times to say the least.....

that said, I know I can't be the ONLY nurse on here addicted to the cancer sticks that wonders about this issue when starting a new assignment....at least I don't think I am..LOL Laughing

I know I didn't ask for a specific hospital or anything, I am just looking at how strict and/or enforceable these laws are in general in California and more specifically how hospitals there tolerate employee smoking.

It probably seems like I am eliciting a lot of effort in something that is relatively trivial as far as assignment conditions go....its the only vice I have (as bad as that may be), so I thought I would try one last time to ask.

Thanks for reading this and any comments/ideas are welcome.
Have a great day everyone!!! Razz

samj1

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 02:50 am
I don't happen to smoke. But I am like you. I know you aren't the only one that does. Just maybe the only one honest enough to admit it. I hope you get your answer. As I know it is of importance to you. We all have certain things we look for in long out of state assignments. I find your question completely legit!! Good luck .

tdr61

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 12:17 pm
Hi fellow smoker,

Haven't been to the forums in a long time. I'm an RN in California and a smoker. Here in southern California every hospital that I have worked at (6 total) have had an area outside the building that is designated for smokers. Sometimes it's a bit of a walk but they are there. As far as I know there is only one city that has banned smoking in public anywhere and that is Calabasas. So don't let that keep you from coming on out...the weather's beautiful and you'll see many, many nurses joining you on your smoke breaks!

T

Born2RunRN

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 03:40 pm
hey tdr6?
Sweet! Thanks so much for the reply. I am actually quite surprised by that fact ; although I must say that I am PLEASANTLY surprised though. I honestly thought that CA would be the hardest for that, given all the laws out there regarding public smoking.
From what you said, it seems that I am currently more restricted than I would be if I came there. I am on assignment in St. Louis now and all hospitals here are smoke free campuses. To smoke here, I have to go outside an literally out to the steet or sidewalk OFF hospital property, so basically across the street. I spent 4 years in Orlando and that hospital had a covered patio for patients, visitors and staff which I heard is now closed since I left there and they are now going to the street.

Anyway, enough about that, I hope you see this again as I couldn't find any way of reaching you directly but I have a few questions for you regarding areas in CA and also things I heard about pay being time and a half after 8 hours, even on a 12 hour shift...not starting after 40 hours a week like here. I am also curious about staffing ratio laws out there that I heard were in effect. I do plan on coming to CA next though, but probably not until April-ish (LOL).

So, if you get a minute, you can email me personally at [email protected]

Thanks again for your input!

Denise Very Happy [/list]

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Smoking in California....yes, I know it seems trivial!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:07:13