Wanted: advice for a new traveler going to San Diego....

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Wanted: advice for a new traveler going to San Diego....

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 12:03 am
Wanted: advice for a new traveler going to San Diego....
Wondering what info is floating around out there for a semi new RN about the world of travel, tips, things to look out for when dealing with my travel company

swood411

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:13 am
San Diego
Hi,
I too am going to be traveling to San Diego in September. I was wondering if you have picked a company to go with yet? I have been working with a few different ones but its overwhelming. I have a couple friends who traveled there last year and they didn't have great things to say about the nursing in SD and especially said to stay away from the Scripps system if you could. I've heard good things about UCSD and Sharps Memorial. If you have any other questions, or advice let me know! Good luck!

trinabean

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:30 pm
On my way to San Diego
Thanks for the reply Swood411...

I chose to go with American Mobile, I have a co-worker that really enjoyed her experience with them and I have enjoyed working with the recruiter that I have had so far...they seem to have the most opportunities out there for me, I did look into approx. 6 different companies, at this point I can only hope I chose the right one...I did get a job at UCSD and hope that this opportunity does not disappoint...I'll keep info posted about this experience....

swood411

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 04:23 pm
hi
Hi! thanks for the reply. I actually think I am going to go with American Mobile as well. Despite what I have heard, I like the recruiter I am working with through them, they seem to have the most opportunity, and my friends have had nothing but good things to say about them up to this point. Like yourself, I can only hope thats the right decision but if not, its only for 3 months! When are you traveling? San Diego is a great area. Is this your first assignment?

trinabean

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2006 10:09 pm
Still there Swood411?

Things got busy and I haven't been on the forum, to answer your ?...yes this is my first assignment in San Diego and it is for 3 months..I'm leaving soon and am excited...if you haven't already been told I would recommend that you start your app process as early as possible and get all paper work filled out and licensing issues straight instead of rushing at the last minute....

swood411

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:33 am
HI! Thanks for getting back to me, and don't worry, I know how crazy things can get! I think I have pretty much decided to go with American Mobile...my friends too have loved their expereince. I actually already have my license and applications are done! I have talked with numerous companies so now I just wait to see what jobs are out there once it gets a little closer to September! Wheres your next assignment?

trinabean

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:46 am
Hello!!
Good to hear you're all set, I'm starting in San Diego and may stay there if I like it, I think I'd like to settle in to one place for a short while, right now I'm just working on getting to my first assignment and see how this goes, have you interviewed yet or are you talking to your recruiter about positions and waiting to see what is of interest?

lillian 1

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 04:10 pm
I just finished a stint in SD. What a beautiful city. Lots of travelers there. Where are you going to work?

trinabean

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 04:01 pm
I'm at UCSD , I start on my unit 6/27, San Diego has been great so far, no c/o anything, now we'll check out the unit, where did you work?

trinabean

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 04:02 pm
Anybody have any insight into On Demand Travel company? Heard they have good benefits...

lillian 1

Reply Wed 28 Jun, 2006 01:23 am
UCSD
I worked Telemetry in La Jolla. Everyone was great, but worked hard!!

LGLee2

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 01:08 am
MY FIRST ASSIGNMENT WAS 06/04 AT UCMC IN SAN DIEGO. WORKED FOR EMERALD HEALTH SERVICES. TREATED ME LIKE A QUEEN. 1-800-917-5055 EXT 123 ASK FOR MEG AND TELL HER THAT LORENA SAYS HI. WAS WITH THEM FOR 2 YEARS ONLY REASON I SWITCHED WAS BECAUSE THEY ONLY HAVE ASSIGNMENTS IN CALIFORNIA I WANTED TO GET CLOSER TO HOME FOR A WHILE WILL GO BACK WITH THEM WHEN I RETURN TO CALI Very Happy LOVED SAN DIEGO!!!!!!!!!!!

jamie 2

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 04:07 am
san diego
Swood411 or Trinabean:
What hospital in San Diego did you get? Do you like it? Any suggestions for incoming travelers? Thanks

samj1

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:16 pm
I have been an RN for 18 years. Mainly Med/surg. It is my first travel adventure and I am scared !! I haven't picked a company as I find them confusing. One promising one thing one another..etc... I am a small person, 5"4 110 lbs. never traveled alone. From IL. to CA. I am afraid would be to much for me. But I was really wanting to go to San Diego area as the weather is warm and pay seemed good. I was wanting a company that would fly me out. Possibly get me in walking distance to work, with a rental car. But when I have talked to some of the companies they act like that just doesn't happen. One company told me if I couldn't get to where I wanted to work I should choose somewhere else. I could have my brother, or friend drive me out. Then I would have to fly them back, (expense). Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions???? Thanks so much .

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Wanted: advice for a new traveler going to San Diego....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/13/2024 at 08:19:49