Where to start?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Where to start?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:59 am
Where to start?
I'm very interested in travel nursing, but I'm not sure where to start. Is is good to go with a company or venture out on my own? Help!! Could use some good advice!!

ORtexas

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 10:31 pm
I would recommend going witha travel company. Talk to several different ones, compare what they have to offer and decide what fits your needs. Have fun!

rodeonurse

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 10:17 am
Thank you!! It's good to know where to start!! Very Happy

NurseBaker

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:58 am
I'm a brand new traveler. I started researching in the fall, checking this board, keeping track of which agencies to beware of, and signing up at some of the sites to be notified when jobs became available that I'd like. I had someone from Bestaff call me with some great opportunities, but he never followed up...always saying he'd call me back. Well, by then I was bitten! I started applying online at a few travel agencies. Some moved faster than others. I took the first offer I got...from Core Med.

Within 2 weeks I was headed to beautiful New England in Mass from WI. My apartment is furnished and I even got an orientation at the facility. Even tho I'm traveling alone, I'm lovin' it! Good luck to you...

Craig 1

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 11:26 pm
I'm graduating 2006 August as a RN, and I'm thinking about traveling. I've recently joined this board and have been reading a lot, but have not found a list of do's and dont's with travel companies and traveling. How about you experienced travelers sharing all of your hard-learned lessons?

TIA, Craig

szethedayrn

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 01:36 pm
Ask plenty of questions....lots. Most companies will fudge on info and you will have a tendancy to find out little and BIG things as the contract begins. Don't be afraid to ask for ammenties. If they can't give them to you they will tell you. Be very specific about housing, i.e. apartment or hotel. It they are offering alot of little things that you think won't need see if you can forgo those for more money. Read reviews of the companies on line. Get referances from travelers you have met. Very Important.
I recently met a traveler who was told her company would provide her with a rental car, they did but she had to pay for it at their corporate rates.
Always always read your contract throughly, don't assume they won't rip you off.
Have a list of questions printed to ask each company. Keep records. Interview with as many companies as you sanely can.
And expect your first contract to be dissappointing. Many new travelers are either dissappointed in the company or the hospital. Do not complain at your hospitals. They do not like to be told other facilities are better.
Get some experiance before you travel. The hospitals will expect you to just jump right in.
Good luck
:-)
Some sites I have found informative.
delphiforums.com
travelnursecentral.com (note dragon on front page, there is another site by same name)
Sperlings BestPlaces (to check town's demographics, you have to join but it is free)
United Census Bureau ( more town data)
Fell free to contact me
[email protected] or here. I don't check these sites but once a week but I will get back to you.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Where to start?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 09:02:41