new travel nurse with lots of questions

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » new travel nurse with lots of questions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:08 pm
new travel nurse with lots of questions
I HAVE BEEN A MED/SURG/TELE NURSE FOR PAST 7 YEARS AT THE SAME HOSPITAL AND HAVE BURN OUT. I THOUGHT TRAVELING WOULD BE A GOOD WAY TO MEET PEOPLE AND SEE HOW OTHER PLACES DO THINGS. I GET TIRED OF HOSPITAL POLITICS. I WANT TO GO EVERYWHERE BUT I AM A LITTLE AFRAID TRAVELING ALONE. I UNDERSTAND MOST NURSES DRIVE TO THEIR DESTINATION AND USUALLY HANDLE HOUSING TO SAME MONEY. I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS AND DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN. I LIVE IN HOUSTON AND WANT TO GO TO CA,AZ,NV OR PERHAPS EAST COAST. ANYONE WITH SUGGESTIONS PLEASE REPLY.

ORtexas

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:37 pm
Hi Houston,
I'm also from texas. I work in the OR. I'm in the middle of an assignment right now. I have severl travel nurse friends and can keep you posted as to where we are going next. We work in the OR. My friends are in Aspen, CO; Coos Bay, OR; Calif; AZ; FL. A few in Texas. Working in Dallas. I wouldn't recommend the hospital they are working at. I worked there for a few weeks and would never go back. I sure wouldn't recommend it for a first time traveler. The hospital in Coos Bay seems to be very nice and slow paced for first time travelers in the OR. I"m not sure how med/surg would be. We have traveled with severl different companies. HPO, Adv Placement, Q Health Care, Western Staffing. I have my profile with Supplemental but haven't taken an assignment with them. We are currently with Medical Staffing Solutions and are very pleased with them. Their pay rate is very high and they take great care of their nurses. They do not offer health insurance. I don't know if you need health insurance or not. It worked out better for me to have my own private insurance so I didn't have to fill out all of the paperwork each time I changed companies and didn't have to worry about coverage if I took off a couple of months in between assignments. With the company I'm with now, I make about $1000 more a month even after paying my own health insurance. It is just whatever works out for you. You have several different options. HPO, which has changed names, I can't remember what they are now, I think On Assignment, offers health insurance. If you have questions I'll be glad to try to help. I hope you like travel nursing. We LOVE it!! We have had a great time and made alot of friends all over the US. Laughing

houstongirl

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
thanks for the reply
hi ortexas,
where in Houston have you worked.? most of the better facilities are in the medical center.I worked for HCA hospitals they were good to me but not run very well. I am thinking of going with medical staffing solutions an yes I should go with someone that offers insurance but to tell you the truth it's not all that great unless your just insuring yourself. Do you guys travel seperate or together, I would love to meet up with you guys and travel together if possible. I,m sure OR is more in demand than med/surg/tele but the demand is there right now for all specialty areas. I would really love to hear back from you and talk travel. I am not working right now and about to go crazy trying to decide what to do. I could take the path of least resistance and go back to my old job and old routine but I want to make a change,meet lots of people and see how the other states practice medicine. My last kid left for college and my husband is always busy, so I really have no obligations here and nothing to hold me back except a little fear but I think If I could start off traveling with other nurses I might not be so apprehensive. I really admire people who live life on their own terms do what they say they are going to do not just talk about it. sorry! guess I got carried away..............hope to hear from ya.

kathyrn

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:59 pm
travel nursing downfalls
HellO;

I am a recent began travel nursing and wouldlike to warn people about the downfalls. The company that I just worked for bookedmy return ticket (thier policy) ad tey left me stranded in a town that was 3 hours from my home. They did this because I did not choose to continue wit them after the way they treated me. They just assumed I would jump at working with them again instead of askig me if Iwanted the assignment. Their name isRTG Medical. They are out of Omaha, Nebraska. They originally seemed t care about their nurses but I soon found that when you sign on all the "caring" disappears.

They would make you feel as if you were an inconvenience if something happened with the rental car or if something happened in the apartment ie: toilet wasn't working, etc. I was originally given the wrong directions and ended up lost for 2 hours. No one knew where my apartment was because it was a brand new development. Even though it was brand new it had electrical problems and the toilet was on the fritz more than it worked.

I decided to work for another company that I almost worked for instead of this one.

So I just wanted to pass on that this company is definitely not one I would recommend - RTG Medical. If they strand their travels 3 hours from home and don't care enough to be available when things happen then they certainly aren't a company any nurse wants to work for.

NurseBaker

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:24 pm
Thanks for the heads up, Kathryn! It looks like there are plenty of agencies to choose from. Are you having a good experience with your new agency?

ORtexas

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:15 pm
Re: thanks for the reply
houstongirl wrote:
hi ortexas,
where in Houston have you worked.? most of the better facilities are in the medical center.I worked for HCA hospitals they were good to me but not run very well. I am thinking of going with medical staffing solutions an yes I should go with someone that offers insurance but to tell you the truth it's not all that great unless your just insuring yourself. Do you guys travel seperate or together, I would love to meet up with you guys and travel together if possible. I,m sure OR is more in demand than med/surg/tele but the demand is there right now for all specialty areas. I would really love to hear back from you and talk travel. I am not working right now and about to go crazy trying to decide what to do. I could take the path of least resistance and go back to my old job and old routine but I want to make a change,meet lots of people and see how the other states practice medicine. My last kid left for college and my husband is always busy, so I really have no obligations here and nothing to hold me back except a little fear but I think If I could start off traveling with other nurses I might not be so apprehensive. I really admire people who live life on their own terms do what they say they are going to do not just talk about it. sorry! guess I got carried away..............hope to hear from ya.

Hi houston,
Yes, we normally travel together. There does seem to be alot of OR needs. I don't really know many people that work in Med/surg, but if I'll ask around and let you know. I'm sure there are alot of travelers in that area, we just don't seem to get out of the OR much. I think you should go for it and try traveling. If you don't like it, you can always come back home!!

br1dgetteRN

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 02:04 pm
Dont go to Nevada!
Depending on where in Nevada, I would definately not go to Vegas to work. They work your butt off and the pay is not the greatest. As far as any of those other states, I cant say. My experience in Vegas was probably one of the most difficult ones. Good luck!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » new travel nurse with lots of questions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 05:43:33