BURNOUT

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » BURNOUT

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:13 am
BURNOUT
I HAVE BEEN IN NURSING FOR 15 YRS. AND I AM QUESTIONING IF I AM BURNT OUT ON MY CAREER ALREADY...STARTING FROM THE LOWEST LEVEL, AS A CNA, AND WORKING MY WAY UP TO CRITICAL CARE RN. MY BACK IS TIRED....HOW DO PEOPLE DO THIS FOR 40+YRS???? I AM IN MY MID 30'S AND REALLY DON'T WANT TO TURN MY BACK ON ALL THE HARD HARD WORK I HAVE DONE AND ALL I HAVE LEARNED SO START ANOTHER CAREER...THE HEALTH FIELD HAS CHANGED SO MUCH SINCE I BEGAN MY CAREER...AND TO BE HONEST...I AM REALLY SCARED WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE WHEN I AM SICK...THE TURNOUT OF NEW NURSES IS JUST QUITE POOR....IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THEY ARE THERE FOR THE $$$ AND THAT IS IT...NEW NURSES START OUT MAKING WHAT EXPERIENCED NURSES WORK, AND FOR WHAT?? TO BE SMART WHEN THEY ARE BEING ORIENTED...TODAY'S FRESH INEXPERIENCED NURSES ARE DOWNRIGHT DISRESPECTFUL...AND NOT TO MENTION THE REPUTATION OF NURSING IS TWINDLING DOWN THE TOILET.....

IF ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE RESPOND...

growlowbunch

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:06 am
I started as a CNA too and completed my BSN 3 years ago. There are often times that I feel like I was hit by a truck but I still could not see me doing anything else at this point. I still enjoy what I do and when you don't that is when you should look for a new career. Nursing doesn't pay enough to do it if you don't enjoy the job anymore. Do you precept new nurses or students? We have four RN schools that rotate through our floor and I precept often. Most of my students are great and enjoy learning and getting different experiences. Occasionally I have an obnoxios student but I find they are rude at everything they do and it is not the fault of the nursing program. As far as new nursing pay anytime our hospital raises the GN rate the same raise is given across the board. That way if the GN rate goes up a dollar so does everyone else and it does not close in the gap. I've found the best raises are to work somewhere a year or two and then go to a different company. The annual raise may only be 50 cents but getting hired somewhere else can get you 2-4 dollars. That is crazy and stupid but it is how it seems to work.

harleychic

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
BURNOUT
well thanks for your input...i do travel and registry work. i do this to help break up the boredom. i began traveling after 9-11. i don't know how long you have been in nursing, but it seems it is vastly changing, AND FOR THE WORSE....I have had some great jobs, and worked with some great nurses. but today, great nurses are hard to come by....

growlowbunch wrote:
I started as a CNA too and completed my BSN 3 years ago. There are often times that I feel like I was hit by a truck but I still could not see me doing anything else at this point. I still enjoy what I do and when you don't that is when you should look for a new career. Nursing doesn't pay enough to do it if you don't enjoy the job anymore. Do you precept new nurses or students? We have four RN schools that rotate through our floor and I precept often. Most of my students are great and enjoy learning and getting different experiences. Occasionally I have an obnoxios student but I find they are rude at everything they do and it is not the fault of the nursing program. As far as new nursing pay anytime our hospital raises the GN rate the same raise is given across the board. That way if the GN rate goes up a dollar so does everyone else and it does not close in the gap. I've found the best raises are to work somewhere a year or two and then go to a different company. The annual raise may only be 50 cents but getting hired somewhere else can get you 2-4 dollars. That is crazy and stupid but it is how it seems to work.

growlowbunch

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 02:14 pm
I have to say that these days a great anything worker is hard to come by. My husband is an optician and he has been doing it for 17 years he goes to work in a slacks, long sleeve shirt and tie. The last couple of people that have applied or worked in the store as assistants or apprentices seam to always have their belly or back or some other body part hanging out. They even wear flipflops. All kinds of professionalism has gone down the toilet. I'd just hope for the best. Geez when I was younger you couldn't even find a job if you dressed like that and now its acceptable to go to work every day. One day an employee even had a belt buckle the size of texas that said bootilicius. I told her my husband was not running a brothel and made her take it off. One thing I have noticed about new nursing students is that they don't seam to have to bathe people anymore. That was practically all we did the first semester was personal care. Now they act like all they can do is pass meds.

peaches 1

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:47 pm
nursing students and baths...
Saw your text and had to reply. We recently had a bunch of fourth-year senior BSN students on our floor. All they did was pass out meds! They were supposed to manage four patients each, doing full care. They never looked at the doctor's orders, charts, or their patients for that matter. All they did was pass out meds.....but talk about an air of superiority! I had to discharge two patients for my student, plus he gave a "now order" 4 hrs. later than it was ordered. He didn't have a clue about anything. But I got yelled at by the doctor because a patient wanted pain medicine and the student couldn't seem to get around to getting for her. I would rather not be responsible for any patients attended to by students, but at my hospital we are not given a choice. I had a patient with numerous stage 4 decubitus with difficult dressing changes; the student who also had that patient never even looked at them, nor did she bother to help me change them. They seem to think they don't have to bathe or clean poop. What are they telling students in nursing school?

escool

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:29 am
Re: nursing students and baths...
Hi Peaches,
I have to say I'm not that shocked. I've been a nurse for 13 years, and worked as a CNA while I was in nursing school, and things have certainly changed. My question is: Do the nurses not have any control of what the student is suppose to do. Is there no communication with the clinical instructors, so that care of the patient is not compromised? I know that the teaching hospital that I worked at, if a student had one of my patients, I asked them first thing what they needed to do, for check-offs or whatever, and had a say in what they did with my patients. If that isn't an option where you work, then there is a problem, since ultimately you are responsible for that patients care. I would also make it clear that if for some reason the student didn't get to do the skill (dressing change, bath, etc.) I expected them to let me know. It didn't matter what kind of students they were. There were even Interns that the staff nurses kept a watch on. Smile

peaches wrote:
Saw your text and had to reply. We recently had a bunch of fourth-year senior BSN students on our floor. All they did was pass out meds! They were supposed to manage four patients each, doing full care. They never looked at the doctor's orders, charts, or their patients for that matter. All they did was pass out meds.....but talk about an air of superiority! I had to discharge two patients for my student, plus he gave a "now order" 4 hrs. later than it was ordered. He didn't have a clue about anything. But I got yelled at by the doctor because a patient wanted pain medicine and the student couldn't seem to get around to getting for her. I would rather not be responsible for any patients attended to by students, but at my hospital we are not given a choice. I had a patient with numerous stage 4 decubitus with difficult dressing changes; the student who also had that patient never even looked at them, nor did she bother to help me change them. They seem to think they don't have to bathe or clean poop. What are they telling students in nursing school?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » BURNOUT
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 05:03:48