New to travel, lots of questions

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to travel, lots of questions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:51 pm
New to travel, lots of questions
I have heard some travel horror stories, and plan to travel next year. Do I really need to provide my own sheets, TV, dishes, etc? Also I am overwhelmed by the number of agencies. A friend of mine said she learned to keep extra money in case she was late getting paid, or her pay was wrong. Also, how can I be sure my housing isn't an old run down apt in a bad part of town? I know what most hospital's neighborhoods look like (not safe, esp. in a big city) so I'm wary of "close to the facility" housing. I will travel with my pet, do I have to pay a pet deposit out of my own pocket?

Do most facilities require certain colors of scrubs, or can I wear what I already own? I have a closetful, buying new ones to suit each new job seems wasteful. Thank you for any advice you can give. I don't want to be shocked at what i walk into.

theboy

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
New to Traveling?
I am a full time traveler moving where ever and when ever the mood strikes...I've been a Critical Care Nurse for 16years and traveler for 3years. I have used several agencies during that time...
To answer your questions>>>
1- Yes there are horror stories from traveling....but there are horror stories from being a staff nurse too!
2-
Quote:
Do I really need to provide my own sheets, TV, dishes, etc?

Most companies (decent anyway) give you options...you can bring your own stuff...or let them provide in the housing package. It's really your call.
3-
Quote:
A friend of mine said she learned to keep extra money in case she was late getting paid, or her pay was wrong.

You're away from home, you have zero money in the bank and the bank doesn't post up your deposit...Whose fault? What would happen in a similar circumstance if you were a staff nurse?
4-
Quote:
Also, how can I be sure my housing isn't an old run down apt in a bad part of town?

The long and short of this question is common sense...I'll answer it with a rhetorical question...How long would a company stay in business (or a hosptial attract nurses)if the housing was that substandard? Everywhere I have been the housing is superb- often nicer than I might have chosen for myself if I had been shopping the market...
5-
Quote:
I will travel with my pet, do I have to pay a pet deposit out of my own pocket?---
All a negotiable part of the contract...the agency isn't going to ruin a contract over such a detail...you may have to help defray the costs, because it isn't always a company's responsiblity that you choose to travel with a critter...though most will go out of their way to accomodate you...
6-
Quote:
Do most facilities require certain colors of scrubs, or can I wear what I already own? I have a closetful, buying new ones to suit each new job seems wasteful
---Some do - most don't...but even if they do they know you don't have time or $$$ to pop a major wardrobe purchase enroute to an assignment...they are usually pretty flexible in their expectations....
7-
Quote:
I don't want to be shocked at what i walk into

Then don't...use common sense...a sense of flexibility, a guarded sense of trust, and for sure a sense of adventure...If you don't know what you're getting into on a new assignment...then that is your fault....Life has bumps..so does travel nursing...As with your life be prepared for the bumps and work them out as they come up...A vast majority of Agencies aren't Simon Legree type ogres sucking the marrow out of innocent traveler's tender bones...they are a company doing business...and the happier the nurses - the happier the hospitals and thus the more income for the agencies...What a great way to make a living!!!!
The Boy

houstongirl

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:35 pm
love a good sense of humor
so tell me "the boy" how did you get that name.? I love it because it is so southern. And why did you decide to travel. I am really dissapointed you did not respond to my tread and give me some "Hey stupid , read between the lines and quit asking such boring questions. or: do your homework and you would know the why.......................................anyway now you have to send me a response just to let me know if i made you laugh or annoyed. i like how straight foward you are,nursing does that to a person. when we work we work harder than anyone and when we play we can't be outdone. hope i hear from ya. i could really use a good laugh .... and don't try to correct my punctuation i already know . spell check lit up like a fire work display . normally I would make corrections but after reading some of the mail here i realize grammer is not an issue. later.................

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » New to travel, lots of questions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 03:00:06