In need of a Social Security #

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » In need of a Social Security #

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 05:43 pm
In need of a Social Security #
I am in need of advice.
I am looking to travel nurse in Miami. I am Canadian and I have been told it is impossible to get a SS# in Florida. The catch 22 is that Florida DOH will not give a nursing liscence without a SS#. The SS office will not give a SS# without a job.
I have a daughter and a nanny lined up in Florida. Therefore I am unable to do an assignment anywhere else to get the SS#. Does anyone have advice or a name I can drop at the F lorida DOH?

kathyrn

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 01:08 am
Have you tried the Embassy in Canada or the US? They may be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction

ladynurse48

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 06:14 pm
you can not get a SS# unless you are an American ... not fair for you to have one if not so.. you should not be privy to the benefits of a SS# unless you are AN AMERICAN. Become one first then apply.. for the SS#
you can not just ask for one.. and if you get one by just applying for one.. something is VERY WRONG>. and you should be caught and heavely fined.

shining armani

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 04:55 pm
so-lady nurse48.
You may need a lesson in American law.
Yes, I am a Canadian and Yes I CAN get a SS# in the USA LEGALLY.
If you read the question you will see that ...well just read it before answering so hastily.
This doesn't have to be a political war over SS#.
I suggest you do a little soul searching into your anger before flying off at the keyboard.

...and thanks Kathryn for your advice I will do that!
Smile

rascal

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:54 am
i understand where she is coming from. how can a non american get a ss # ? that is crazy. if you have a ss# , you should have to pay into the Govts ss taxes, otherwise, you shouldnt be able to get one. if this is true. boy is our govt screwed up . nothing against non americans. but ss #'s were set up to supply a means for americans- and to benefit americans. no wonder it is going broke. ss is gonna be broke, i heard and it is no wonder.
that is crazy. ok, let me ask you this. can i recieve the medical care from canada, even though i am an american citizen??
just asking, cuz if that is so, i have a doctor ordered test i need done. i dont have medical coverage at the moment. and the test costs me , out of pocket, one thousand dollars, which i dont have. can i come to canada and get that test done?
thanx.
good discussion

shining armani

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 02:34 pm
I am absolutely horrified at the lack of knowledge you people have. Are you university educated? Has anyone heard of the North American Free Trade Agreement? Let me simplify it for you N.A.F.T.A?? No rascal you can't come to Canada and receive "free" medicare, and neither can I once I come to the USA and get a SS#. Oh Yeah AND start paying Taxes- AND start paying medicare. I am beginning to see why the USA is begging us to come down there and work.

traveler99

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:03 pm
ss#
it's not so much a ss # as it is a tax id #. my son inlaw has one as he awaits his citizenship

Drewgan20

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
Hey Shining Armani
Hey my dad works for the Government and you are entitled to a SS#. I would first call the embassy in Canada and if that doesn't work call in D.C.

Don't listen to these other people. we as nurses should stick together no matter what country we are in........

Good luck

Andrwe

shining armani

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:41 pm
Cheers Drew, Thanks for the advice.
Looks like I'm heading to Vegas instead of Florida

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » In need of a Social Security #
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:44:18