Bring your own pillow, dishes, sheets, TV, etc.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Bring your own pillow, dishes, sheets, TV, etc.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:24 pm
Bring your own pillow, dishes, sheets, TV, etc.
How do we deal with this problem? I know that airlines are not going to go for the fact that I had to pack the kitchen sink and uniforms for a travel job.

Suggestions welcome!!!

RonEvens

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:44 pm
That's why I drive to my assignments when I have to take everything. However you can get your agency to provide all these items. Some agencies charge you monthly for them. Others like World Health provide them on all assignments and don't charge you.

With experience comes the ability to pack for the assignment

Wildflower63 1

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 02:11 am
I look for assignments in places that I wouldn't normally have the opportunity to go. I can't drive across the country. I guess that I could, but I really don't want to spend days in my car.

It is the best idea, driving. I can take my dog and the kitchen sink, but I drive a ten year old Nissan Sentra. The car runs great, but you can only fit so much in one and only deal with so much time, on the road. I get nervous and a cage feeling driving any long distance.

Should I do it anyway and tell my daughter it's a road trip? Do you still get travel allowance driving or do I get nothing because I paid for gas and cheap motels to get there? This can take days at worst, and many hours, at best. If I don't get something for taking a very long time to drive, I prefer an airplane.

What is the usual deal? I am going to make a lower wage for a rental car. I will get a travel allowance of X dollars or will I, if I drive? I am going to have to rent a TV, buy dishes, sheets, pillows, pots and pans, etc.

Advice needed!!

RonEvens

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
Well driving is a trade off with flying. You should still get a travel allowance but most companies give you a flat fee for travel. I enjoy driving to my assignments as I get a chance to see the country, but yes it does take longer to get there, however I am strange as I don't stop when I drive. I just keep going and going until I get there. I have driven from Louisiana to California in a 31 hours (2000 miles). I don't have anyone to share the driving but have my Yorkie to keep me company. If you drive your company should give you something instead of rental car. My company is giving me almost $200 a week stipen for not taking a rental car, plus $325 in travel allowance. Not much but it is better than nothing. So if you want to get where you are going in a hurry, fly by all means. If you want to take a cross country adventure and see as much of the country as you can, drive.

Wildflower63 1

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:05 am
Thanks for the info Ron! You still get the flat rate for travel reimbursement and a few hundred bucks for not needing a car? You are definitely making a lot more money, the way I see it.

It does sound worth it to drive and call it a road trip. My daughter might drive me insane fighting over what music to torture me with. I could bring my dog, TV, and the kitchen sink. The dog might be a better choice than a 14 year old girl! lol!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Bring your own pillow, dishes, sheets, TV, etc.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:54:03