Information on PRN Nursing

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Information on PRN Nursing

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

dustynd

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:58 am
Information on PRN Nursing
I am an LPN, I have been Nursing for 25 yrs., I worked 3 yrs in Ortho/Hospital setting and have worked in LTC Skilled from 1985-present at the same facility.
I moved 5 yrs ago and the Nursing Home I worked at called and asked me to continue to stay on as a Prn Nurse as they are so short staffed. I was going once a month to start with and working 3-4 days a month, It has now increased to every other week 3-4 days and they are asking for more. I travel over 300 miles round trip, get Call-In and differential pay for PM shift that totals $3.00, I usually work and 8 hr shift , but have worked 12 hr shifts. I have done this the last 5 yrs, with no raise in pay the last 2 years, no mileage is paid, no room and board. I pay $2.00 for the supper meal at work, $3.00 for dinner meal, I stay at my Mother's while I am there. I don't know where to get the Information on what the going rate is for Travel Nursing and would be interested in hearing what others are getting. I get less than $20.00/hr total at present.
Does anyone have information that can help me in this situation, I feel I should be getting more.

malenurse

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:20 am
Are you looking for travel nursing information in order to negotiate a raise or are you considering working with a travel agency? Sounds ruff, you definently deserve better!

dustynd

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 01:10 pm
Looking for information
I am looking for information from others to neigotate a better salary for going to my job. It started out as PRN-Call In, for 3 days a month. They are so short staffed I am getting called to work every week. I know it is my choice to say Yes or No, but, I have been going w/o any increase or compensation for the extra time I have been going there. It takes me 3 hrs one way, stay over 3 days, food, and I figure with gas I spend $100.00 of my check just for going up there. I was wondering what others get when they do this. I have never worked with any travel agency/Prn nursing and the only reason I agreed to what I was doing was because I worked there for 20 years prior to my moving and needed no orientation and I knew the routine, etc.
Any information as to what others get for salary, bonus, or whatever would be appreciated...Thank You.

RN Recruiter

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 12:55 pm
Sounds like you are in a sticky situation. I think you will have trouble renegotiating your rate, so here is what I recommend:

1. IRS allows you to claim a portion of your earnings as per diem for meals and housing. Generally the rule here is that your permaent address must be more than 50 miles away from your place of work...and it sounds like you fit this requirement.

2. Some states require that the employer compensate you for housing and per diem when you live that far away. I would consult your local labor board to see if the rules apply to you. You may also be eligible for mileage reimbursements.

I would recommned doing your homework with the labor board first. Then go in and request in writing that they compensate you appropriatly in the future for the travel expenses and per diem if they are required in your area.

You may be entitled to a retroactive payout for these expenses, but pushing for that may ruin your relationship with your employer. The question is, would you want to put your employer through the ringer?

If they are in violation of the law, then turning them in may result in them calling you less often. Being a PRN nurse, it is not like you have a set schedule...so they could justify using you less. You may also wish to get a free consultation with a labor attourney in your area.

As far as salary renegotiation is concerned, I would approach your employer and spell out all of your expenses. Let them know how much you love your job, but the financial strain it puts you in is a hardship. Put the ball in their court, and see what their response is. Before you meet with your employer have an idea in your own head as to what reasonable changes you want made.

Remember that your employer will likely have other LPNs that it employs, to it would be unreasonable to think that if the average LPN there makes $20, that they would make an exception and pay you $25. You best bet is playing the distance card, and asking for travel expenses.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Information on PRN Nursing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:20:58