First time traveler from Canada

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » First time traveler from Canada

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 01:46 am
First time traveler from Canada
Hi, I'm looking to travel and I'm from Canada. I would like to start out in Hawaii because I need the sun. It's sooo cold up here in the winter and I would love to wake up in the morning and see an ocean not snow! Any ideas how and where to start?

Carri

Sun Catcher

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:00 am
Fellow Cancuk here,

Getting started was not hard at all, you just need a few months to get the paperwork straightened out. I chose Cross Country, so I started by sending in my references and skills checklist. From there you will need to book a time to write your NCLEX (you will have to travel to the US to do this). You get those results within two days (for a small fee) and then can start sending your fingerprints and stuff to the FBI, and whatever state you choose to get a license with. I was instructed to write my exam with Minnesota (though the test took place in Buffalo) because they process results for Canadians most quickly. I was set up with Paige Sawtell, and international recruiter with Cross Country who did an amazing job of getting me off to a smooth start. Let me know if you have any other questions Smile

bakkasm

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:37 pm
Canadian Traveller
You now have to have your "Visa Screen" to work in the US. It took about 3-4 months for mine to go through. Go to CGFNS.com for info. NCLEX exam I found really easy. It is computerized, so only takes about an hour to write. Apply to the state you are going to try to work in. You don't have to write your exam in that state. That way, you will already have your license. If you are planning on doing ICU, make sure you have your ACLS up to date. Lots of travel companies out there. Good web site to check them out is Delphi Forums. com.
If you are used to a big Canadian teaching hospital, you will be in for a shock. Keep in mind, healthcare in the US is a business, while in Canada it is a service. Best way to work with that, is to just do the best job you can within the parameters you are given and enjoy.

Fellow part-time Canadian traveller

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » First time traveler from Canada
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 08:14:38