1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Ok here are a few questions about traveling nurses that i wo

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Kc 1

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:56 am
hello
Ok here are a few questions about traveling nurses that i would like to know:

* Would I go to get a Bachelors degree as an RN?
* What is the annual average pay?
* Once i get my degree, how would i go about the traveling part
* Is it possible to travel nationaly?
* How much is paid for when traveling? ie: plane ticket, housing, etc .
* Is there time to tour the area when having this occupation?
* Is there anyone who does has this career and has a family?--please reply

Thank you for your time Smile

malenurse

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
Re: hello
Kc wrote:
Ok here are a few questions about traveling nurses that i would like to know:

* Would I go to get a Bachelors degree as an RN?
* What is the annual average pay?
* Once i get my degree, how would i go about the traveling part
* Is it possible to travel nationaly?
* How much is paid for when traveling? ie: plane ticket, housing, etc .
* Is there time to tour the area when having this occupation?
* Is there anyone who does has this career and has a family?--please reply

Thank you for your time Smile

The average annual pay can range from 20 to 35 a year. You have to have at least one year of experience before you can travel. When you've done that contact a travel agency or check out websites like nursing-jobs.us and they will direct you to a recruiter. Your housing etc may be compensated but your salary will decrease slightly. Check out some of the other threads. There has been discussion of traveling with kids/family! Good luck :wink:

Kc 1

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
Thanks
Malenurse,
thank you for the reply, but i still feel a little unawnsered.
I am a senior in high school and anxious to find what i need to
take in college. Do i go for an RN degree, then find a recruiter?
and lastly, what is the job security for Traveling nurses?
I would appreciate a response. Thank you very much----KC

malenurse

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
A travel nurse is usually required to have at least one year of experience. Find one right out of school may be difficult, and they are usually with government hospitals if you don't have experience.

I would just focus on getting your degree. As you go through school you will make so many connections that finding a job will not be a problem. Exspecially with the nurse shortage that we believe will just get worse and worse. With the shortage come job security for all nurses, you don't have to worry about that!

jehrn313

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:15 am
To recieve an RN that is most useful to you, you would need to look at 4-year programs. You can get an RN on "fast-track" programs at some schools if you have other credits. The best and smartest option is to go get your bachelors degree. To travel, it is best to have at least 2 yrs of nursing experience out of college. You don't necessarily have to be in med surg. You can pretty do which ever specialty you want right out of college. You can be a travel nurse with a specialty. The pay depends on the area. Typically, where the cost of living is higher (ie California, NY) you will be paid more. Where there is most high need, you will be paid more and recieve taxed bonuses sometimes. In Michigan, I got paid 22 dollar/hr at 2yrs out of school. In California, I get paid over 10 dollars more. It all depends. The travel company will usually pay for your relocation up to a certain dollar amount about 450.00. That could mean gas in your car or airfair. Companies usually have free benefits and pay some of your main bills up to a certain dollar amount. Your housing is free and private in most cases. Traveling nationally is what travel nursing is all about. You can pretty much go where you want. Yes, you can definitely tour the area with travel nursing. Most jobs are 12 hour shifts 3 days a week. You can pick up more hours for double the money. Some travelers I know have families, but are older couples that can get away...children out of school, etc. Travel assignments are usually 13 wks long and you can extend contracts usually. A young family would be hard to travel with due to moving schools for kids and jobs of significant others. I hope this helps! Nursing is the best job. You can do so much!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » Ok here are a few questions about traveling nurses that i wo
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.61 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:11:44