travel nurse vs. independent contract nurse

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » travel nurse vs. independent contract nurse

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

sn 1

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 04:57 pm
travel nurse vs. independent contract nurse
Hi guys, wondering if anyone can inform me of the difference between being a travel nurse or an independent contractor. Thanks for any tips!

Kayla 1

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 05:08 pm
I would think that working per diem shifts is very similar to being an independent contractor. You may not be able to negotiate your salary as much. I have never heard of an agency that helps with that but you could be your own agency. This may require more work than you were interested in. There might be sample contracts and fees online. Search for start your own biz.

Lana 1

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:02 pm
Re: travel nurse vs. independent contract nurse
sn wrote:
Hi guys, wondering if anyone can inform me of the difference between being a travel nurse or an independent contractor. Thanks for any tips!
I did IC for about 5 years and was very happy doing it. The biggest difference was keeping trac of my own taxes, They do pile up. Good luck with it. Lana

boanerges

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:51 am
Independent Contracts
Hi. I have 14 years of critical care experience and have been traveling for about 4 years now. I AM willing to put up with the extra work of keeping up with my own taxes. Can anyone tell me some hospitals that are doing this and some contact names as well. I'm tired of working for "chump change" they pay on these assignments. They say they can barely afford to pay me in the mid $30's when they're billing for $60-65/hr. and they just sit on the phone and talk and visit hospitals for solicitation. I'm the one doing all the work. Mad THANKS FOR NOTHING.

BJoseph904

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:57 pm
You can pay a nominal fee to become your own company via an LLC license. Then you can take advantage of the tax breaks. What you really need to do is sit down and come up with what it is going to take to keep you surviving...health insurance, mortgage, car payment...etc. You certainly need to know your own minimum to maintain. If it is $35/hr, you need to add $10 to $15 to the cost. Generally, this amount will always fall beneath regular agency rates depending on your area.

Joe

boanerges

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 08:11 pm
Re: Independent Contracts
boanerges wrote:
The LLC is not a big deal, I've already looked into that. The main trouble I have run into is that Hospitals feel more comfortable dealing with a company than with the individual RN, which would save them money. I just got an offer for $50/hr that I'm still considering (in addition to paid housing & rental car, which is my usual deal or I don't go) but I still have to go thru a company which means the company is billing for around $70-75/hr and getting it. After 14 years, I am in the position I've done this long enough and want to call my own shots. I think I'm just going to do something else for a while until the shortage gets even MORE severe. I'm at the point I'm gathering backers with capital to "hang out a shingle" and "get a storefront" if that's what it takes. My wife has the experience, having scheduled my contracts for the last 4 years. It's time to make the kind of money we deserve to make. If we have to become our own agency to do it then , so be it. Again, to the Agencies, Mad THANKS FOR NOTHING. I can do better myself. Exclamation To the hospitals, WAKE UP, these agencies are milking you dry.

travelrn

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 07:08 pm
try Indian Hospitals across the country. They use independent contractors. Some of them even help you find housing.good luck

boanerges

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 12:39 am
Indian Hospital Locations
Please give me names of particular Indian Hospitals and/or contact names & numbers. It's this info that I lack. Very Happy I'm ready to take a trip. The one I went to had harsh and barren surroundings, but, if enough money is offered, I can get past that.

travelrn

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 07:19 am
independent contracts
Indian Hospitals in Az and NM. I will try to get more details for you

Mike 1

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:13 pm
IC's
My Wife and I have been Independent Contractors now for 4 years. $$ are much better. As for bene's the $$ cover that without difficulty. We use a payroll company that takes care of our IRS concerns. Best $30 a month we spend. If more RN's understood that the Government looks at RN's as PROFESSIONAL people just like a lawyer or doctor and start being Independent Contrators, the Agencies that take 50% of what you work for would soon disappear. We have never been without work in 4 years! We have even subcontracted for a few of the Agencies. Just remember that RN's eat there young and if we started looking at ourselves as professionals instead of just an employee we could be making much better $$$$.

yoyo 1

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 07:14 pm
Hi Mike . It seems .. I am folowing you . The agency try to find a job for me because I am a canadian nurse . I have asked the agent they said they do not take % salary from the nurse , they just receive $ one time from the hospital . I am sure they tell the truth . How do I know the other agent do the same thing . Should I asked them directly ? I want to have a permanent job .. seem travel nurse have a lot of problem. Please help.

boanerges

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:15 am
To: "Travel RN" from Texas....
To: "Travel RN" from Texas....
Did you ever get that contact info on the Indian Hospitals ? What about any places in Florida that take Independent Contractors ? Ready to head out again since present situation isn't working out. Thanks Smile Todd - [email protected]

boanerges

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 02:58 am
Looking for answers
To Mike & Travel RN and anynone else who may have info, I never heard any more regarding the questions I had earlier about places in FL that use IC's and the Indian Hospitals, which ones ? Who do you have your benefits through ?

Thanks,
Todd (boanerges)

IVORY2CRUZ

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 02:01 pm
travel nurse
Hi, can someone suggest the best travel nurse agency to work for?

Lili 1

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 07:13 am
Re: Indian Hospital Locations
boanerges wrote:
Please give me names of particular Indian Hospitals and/or contact names & numbers. It's this info that I lack. Very Happy I'm ready to take a trip. The one I went to had harsh and barren surroundings, but, if enough money is offered, I can get past that.

There is one in Chinle, AZ that always needs nurses, and they treat you decently. I'm working here now. Other IHS hospitals are in Tuba City, Shiprock, & Phoenix. For specifics, just visit www.ihs.gov.

And for those who want to try IHS nursing via agency, call Julianne at Access Nurses- tell her Liane sent you!

GGent16

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 04:55 pm
Re: IC's
Thanks Mike,

Definitely something I have been thinking about for a while. I am working through an agency now. There are several online books that "tell you how to begin the process" of becoming an IC. Is this something you recommend spending money on, or is it easy enough to do on my own? How do you know how much you can expect to earn without using an agency? Thanks.

Mike wrote:
My Wife and I have been Independent Contractors now for 4 years. $$ are much better. As for bene's the $$ cover that without difficulty. We use a payroll company that takes care of our IRS concerns. Best $30 a month we spend. If more RN's understood that the Government looks at RN's as PROFESSIONAL people just like a lawyer or doctor and start being Independent Contrators, the Agencies that take 50% of what you work for would soon disappear. We have never been without work in 4 years! We have even subcontracted for a few of the Agencies. Just remember that RN's eat there young and if we started looking at ourselves as professionals instead of just an employee we could be making much better $$$$.

IC traveler

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 01:25 am
Independent contract nursing
I'm currently working for Northwest Nurse Staffing as an independent contractor. I keep track of and pay my own taxes but the tax benefits are hugh and makes this worth the work. This company has contracts available in Idaho, Ore., Washington, California, Arizona and a couple of mid west states and is branching out all the time. They place mostly ICU, Tele, and L/D RNs but other specialties available also. They've been great to work for and with. You can contact them at nns-ic.com, tell them settconn pointed you in their direction. As they pay bonus' for referrals.

tinarn

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2008 09:51 am
I would really want to know more about independent contracting. How can I do this? Can anyone direct me to some links or give me any information on how to get this started????? PLEASE HELP

taylorj1

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 05:03 pm
It seems that traveling does have it's own headaches but right now per diem nursing is my pathway until the summer comes then I will consider a contract through my existing company, as far as independent contracting just starting out is not a good idea, the rules and the game is new so doing this on your own would not work, for the experienced ones it would make more sense. To those looking for an agency I have dealt with RNNetwork, Access nurses, and Nightengale are few that have little to no negative feedback. Good luck.

nativeborn

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 11:21 pm
independent contractor
qccording to the IRS nurses can not be "independent" becasue we have to abide by the hospital rules, not our own. If you have questions contact the IRS or a CPA. It is illegal for a hospital to pay you as an independent contractor

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Travel Nursing
  3. » travel nurse vs. independent contract nurse
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:56:31