Pain Management RN

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Pain Management RN

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 10:44 pm
Pain Management RN
Hello to everyone!!
I am currently working as an RN on a Med/Surg unit and feel it's time for a change (long story). Anyway, I've found a positon posted looking for a RN in a pain management clinic.
Can anyone tell me what the role, responsibilities, or duties of the RN would be in this setting. Is this normally a high-pressure (stressful) type of environment to work in? If the position is offered to me, is there anything that I should specifically brush up on? If you currently work in this field of nursing, what exactly is your day like? What are the pros & cons to this type of nursing?
THANKS in advance to all who can give me a hand. I'm in major need of a job change and I'm still trying to find my little niche. Rolling Eyes

Novice

cultura

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:25 pm
Pain management
Hi, how long have you been in nursing? From my experience, over 20 years, pain management can be very frustrating, although it does depend most of the time, on the team you are working with. I have not worked in pain management specialty, but on the medical-surgical floors. If your team, MD, and others like anesthesia or neuro consults, for example, do not work well together, it becomes a real battle for you and your patient.

It might be different working on a specialty area in Pain Manegement though. I assume everybody on that team will know what the treatment goals are and how to go about them, making it a more successful and satisfying environment to work in. Sorry, can't help much; just sharing ideas. Laughing

novice 1

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 04:18 am
HI!!
I appreciate your reply (Cultura). Thanks for responding!

I'm doing a bit of generalizing BUT, there's a certain atmosphere that's present in certain types of nursing. I'm not attracted to a "crazy" stressful work environment and want to be sure that I'm not willingly putting my head on the chopping block. Laughing When a job specifically requests OR experience, I have to wonder.
If anyone has experiences as a pain management RN (good or bad) please share!!! The best decisions are made on facts and not assumptions!!

Very Happy

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Pain Management RN
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 05:06:02