BEING FIRED

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » BEING FIRED

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:41 pm
BEING FIRED
HAS ANYONE BEEN EVER BEEN FIRED? I WAS. IT WAS OVER HERESAY AND I WORKED IN A "FREE-WILL" STATE WHERE THEY DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A REASON TO FIRE YOU. IT HAS BEEN DIFFICULT TRYING TO FIND WORK. ONE PROBLEM IS THAT I ONLY HAVE 8 MONTHS OF EXPERIENCE SO, I CAN'T WORK FOR AN AGENCY. NEXT, I HAVE A FEELING I WAS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. I'M GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS WITH THE EEOC. IN THE MEAN TIME HOW DO I EXPLAIN TO PROSPECT EMPLOYERS THE REASON I WAS FIRED?

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 12:26 pm
Well, you haven't exactly stated why you were fired, so it's difficult to give advice. In most circumstances, though, you usually overcome this problem by emphasizing the valuable experience that you gained in your last position, and how much you learned, plus identifying those weaknesses you think were strengthened while you were there and what you have done since you left this position to improve in those areas where you are weak.

The other way to overcome this problem is to find someone else who will vouch for you (give you references). Obtaining those references in writing is an excellent way to start. But I would think of anyone, even a former nursing instructor, who is willing to give you a reference.

Since you are relatively new to nursing, you might seek out volunteer opportunities where you could put your skills to work, and gain valuable experience and references.

Finally, bear in mind that none of us are defined by ONE JOB or ONE FAILURE. We build on our experiences to become better (not perfect) and it is often by trial-and-error that we find our niche. Your last position obviously was the wrong place for you.

recruit

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:06 pm
fired
Actually i just hired an RN who was fired at a local hospital. I had to make the decision on whether or not I could work with her issues. All her references felt she was not treated fairly. I am aware of her flaws and intend to work diligently to help her fit in at my place.
I can't see why someone wouldn't jump at the chance to work with you and build on your strengths.
I agree with Ginger, find your references or come to NE.
JK

FLNURSE

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:27 pm
I was under the impression it was illegal for a previous employer to give out any information except for position held and for how long. I also heard they can say if they would rehire you.

recruit

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 09:13 pm
Being Fired
You know unless something has changed, the Dept of Labor stipulates that as long as the information can be found in your personnel file and as long as you were made aware of it while employed, it is fair game in a reference. On our applications there is a place where the applicant gives permission for references to be obtained.
I find that more and more employers are only giving the dates of employment, and some will say if the person is rehireable. But supposedly there is no legal recourse for giving honest information.
Do any of you know of a case where the past employer was sued for giving out more information?

NurseBaker

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:03 am
I have a very good friend that was fired a few years ago. The facility was under new management, they were downsizing, and it appeared they wanted to let the staff know that the Union could not help them! (It was run by the county, so Union was needed to deal with beaurocracy). They said she did not follow the company's policy to keep residents safe, after one of her Alzheimer's patients fell out of bed and broke a hip.

After several disappointments at getting a new job, we convinced her to take "terminated" off her resume and applications, and write "Downsizing". I called the facilty as if looking for a reference to hire her and they insisted all they could give out was her date of hire and length of employment. They wouldn't answer the question, "Would you rehire her?" This might vary from state to state.

After changing her resume, she found not everyone asked her why she left that employer or they accepted the fact that the facilty was downsizing. It took a couple years but she managed to get a great nursing job!

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 08:58 pm
I have been fired. And I have been discriminated agaist. Acctually if you are a male nurse the latter happens alot, sory to say. The answer is it really does not matter much. I walked out the next day and got another job right off. The shortage of nurses means they don't really care what happened at the last job, unless it involved criminal behavior or neglegence. That is really too bad but that is the truth. Walk into the interview with confidence, like you have been at it for a hundred years and generally it will work out. One of your first clues about discrimination should be when they start asking too many questions. If they do may be you should be the one thinking it over. I also highly recommend that you go talk to the nurses on a floor you want to work on before hand with out management around. If they won't agree to this that is a big clue for you. Good luck.

Matina

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm
Being fired
I feel like I know you. I've always said if an employer wants to be rid of someone they can find a reason. Unfortunately you found out early the real character of nursing, its not about how good a nurse you are, its about who they believe, you or the person telling the rumor. As an "old" nurse I feel I've seen it all, and its not real pleasant. I find the truth is good to tell an employer, they know you aren't a liar that way, but the real truth first, then tell how it was twisted around to be against.

SharpknifeRN 1

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 09:33 am
Ok it has been forever, tell us already where you went to work? How is it going? thanks

BDeacn719

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:37 am
Re: BEING FIRED
tariqmomma wrote:
HAS ANYONE BEEN EVER BEEN FIRED? I WAS. IT WAS OVER HERESAY AND I WORKED IN A "FREE-WILL" STATE WHERE THEY DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A REASON TO FIRE YOU. IT HAS BEEN DIFFICULT TRYING TO FIND WORK. ONE PROBLEM IS THAT I ONLY HAVE 8 MONTHS OF EXPERIENCE SO, I CAN'T WORK FOR AN AGENCY. NEXT, I HAVE A FEELING I WAS DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. I'M GOING THROUGH THE PROCESS WITH THE EEOC. IN THE MEAN TIME HOW DO I EXPLAIN TO PROSPECT EMPLOYERS THE REASON I WAS FIRED?

I have to question the sanity of anyone who types in all-caps! Rolling Eyes

Skyla

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 11:10 am
Re: BEING FIRED
BDeacn719 wrote:
tariqmomma wrote:

I have to question the sanity of anyone who types in all-caps! Rolling Eyes

LOL!!!!!!!!! (But I am sane...:=) Now, be fair. Even in this day and age, some people are still not so familiar with computers and posting..:=)
Peace,
Skyla

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » BEING FIRED
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:07:23