Is nursing still fun for you?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Is nursing still fun for you?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Honey 1

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:26 pm
Recently I've heard that a lot of nurses are tired of their jobs. That the long hours and shortage of nurses is just to much. Does going home at the end of the day knowing you touched lives wipe all the bad moments away?

nursegarcia

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:02 pm
Being a nurse is not always " fun" or even nice. However, there could be no career more fulfilling than nursing for me.
I could not imagine myself doing anything else!!
Yes, sometimes you swear you will quit and never go back, but something will always happen to make you say, "Now that is what being a nurse is all about!!"

nursePARKHOUSE

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 07:46 pm
Nursing I can not say is A "FUN" job. It is a serious job with peoples lives in your hands. I have fun with my co-workers and my patients with good personalities. That's what nursing is all about. And every once in a while when you get the comment thanks you do a good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. Very rewarding.

easybreezy

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:59 am
I agree nurseparkhouse. It is a serious job.

I do try to have fun when appropriate. With my coworkers, and my patients. I take my cues from them about their senses of humor, and go from there. It's amazing what humor can do for the soul (and for healing), but of course there's a time and place.

What I always said to myself before getting in to nursing was, "if one patient's stay can be better or easier because I was there, that is all I want." My sis had one of those nurses when she gave birth to her daughter (she didn't know at the time if she was going to give her up for adoption). I know I have been that nurse to some patients, and that makes all the difference for me.

nursemadduck

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 09:54 am
Is Nursing still fun for you?
Surprised I am suprized any one who is in nursing would ask that question.
I graduated as an LVN in 1989. 8)
As I became older I knew I needed to get into the paper side of nursing so as not to hurt myself. Crying or Very sad I am 55 years young today almost 56. Most of my patients and people I work with guess me to be in my mid 30's and I think nursing has kept me young.
I went to college in 2000 - 2004 to get what skilles I needed to become a patient advocate, or get into infection controll. Graduating with an Associates Degree in Applied Science. I need to be an RN to do what I want to do.
I took a re-entry class in 2004 after graduation so I could work for a whle and not go under from mounting bills. Now I have plans to return to school as soon as possiable to get into the LVN to RN transion. Then I can be what I want to be.
And yes Nursing is still fun for me. I can not think of anything else that I want to do with my life. I find it energizing and rewarding when I know somone has been touched by what I was able to do for them as a nurse.
And yes there is a time and place for the laughter. We should laugh with and touch our patients. I do this but I take cues from my patiens so I will know the timing is right. I never want to laugh at the wrong time. I do not want the patient to feel I am laughing at them, but to know I am laughing with them.
But I need to stop lifting on the patients. However I do not want to loose contact with them. And if I am a patient advocate I will not loose that contact.
I tried being a transcriber for a short while and longed to be with the patients. While doing my clinicals as a coder I missed the patient. But these two things were a neccessary evil for me to get the education I did need to be the advocate that so many patients need. Razz
I have plans to go back to school by the fall of 2005. I only hope my finances will allow me to do this. :wink:
Please do not give up on nursing it is a rewarding job. Even though the loads are large and we must fight with the Dr to get what the patient needs someone must do this job. Why not let it be someone who wants to do it? Razz
Yes I LOVE being a nurse. Very Happy

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Is nursing still fun for you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 1.55 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:45:28