CODE BLUE!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » CODE BLUE!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:56 pm
CODE BLUE!
Well, I am currently a nursing student and I am doing my preceptorship right now. I was on my 3rd 12 hour shift and all of a sudden there was a CODE BLUE called over head. I was soo... excited. I wanted to go and have that experience. Well, to make a long story short, we lost him and it was very heart wrenching. It was a very well organized code and everyone involved did everything that they possibly could. When I came home that night, I just couldn't believe how fast something can happen like that and to know that maybe it could have been someone close to me. It was quite the experience and something that is kinda scarry to me. Does it ever get any better the longer you work or having extra training for codes? I would love to hear experiences from anyone on how they feel about this!

Dindallas66

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:07 am
Code blue response
During a code, I hope all my equipment works, my team is efficient, and the Dr. to be strong. I really think it does get better with experience. Its so great to know what to do when your patients go down hill. I recently began a pedi code in the ER and had a postive turnout. I felt so happy all the way home and was so glad I had good assessment skills. My concern for my pt. makes me realize that I am so careful to always assess my patients...even if shift change begins. Its saved this baby...even when it was missed by others. I thank my lucky stars that I ws prepared for this.

peaches 1

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:02 pm
code blue.
Yes, it does get better with experience. Take ACLS, and always assess your patient. You don't want to get caught with your pants down, so to speak. But what you asked is, does it get easier to lose a patient? Yes, I hate to admit it, but you do get used to this sort of thing. Remember, sometimes it is just that person's time to die, and nothing you do will change that. You can only help what you do BEFORE someone dies. So be good to your patients, and keep on assessing them thru-out your day so you can nip things in the bud, possibly. God bless you.

yoyo 1

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:03 am
Hi Peaches
I have read your input about code blue. It is an axcellent advice. All nurses should do what you do. Thank you for a good heart and caring.

telenurseangie

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 10:44 am
Code Blue
Would you believe, I have a been a nurse for 2 years and (knock on wood) have not had a code blue yet. I have had a few 'go bad' but nipped it and got them to the unit before it got that far .... but to this day, I am still scared to death. I have tried to involve myself in others' (codes) just for the experience but once the team comes in, you have to let them get to work so... I am still waiting. Just trying to stay on top of my assessments so if at all possible, it can be nipped / prevented. Please tell me instincts will kick in when that time comes and I will know what to do!

abbeygirl

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
Telenurseangie:

Its me again. No you don't have to move over. That is your room to run in a code if it is your patient. Be sure you know your stuff. If you have been nursing for X2 years without a code blue you are pretty darned lucky but bless you that luck will run out soon and you are going to have to run your code. My rule is this is my room, The team comes in and looks to me for direction, except for the MD's of course. You prob work the floor where you don't have codes that frequently but it will happen. Prepare yourself with everything you have because someone's life will be in your hands and if is one of my loved ones, I pray to God that the person running that room is experienced, sure of themself and not just thinking they are great. Again good luck.

telenurseangie

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 11:34 am
Code Blue
Thanks, Abbeygirl. I appreciate your comments. Believe me, I know the 'luck' will soon run out. Like I said, I've sure had a few close ones but never got to the point that coding was warranted - but whew! So I was trying to involve myself with other nurses if they had a pt going bad - you know, just so I would know what takes place in a code. I'd always get run out as with everyone else not involved in code team, since it wasn't my patient. I'm taking ACLS and PALS next month which I'm sure will be very beneficial. Looking forward to that. Thanks again for your input! ;o)

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » CODE BLUE!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:05:08