Help me to solve this case study Please

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Help me to solve this case study Please

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:16 am
Help me to solve this case study Please
MR. slip D. Down has been brought into the ER where you are working your shift. He has fallen down his back steps after slipping on a piece of ice. X-rays reveal a shattered head of the right femur typical of a "broken hip" of the elderly. the same X-rays also reveal that the bones of his pelvic gridle have a mottled appearence. Mr. Down is 35 years old.
Further investigation reveals that Mr. Down has been experiencing severe low back pain and is suffering from nausea and stomach distress. Initial blood work results reveal the following basic information:

Hematocrit (PVC): 45
RBC count: 5 million
WBC count: 8000
total cholestrol: 192
Sodium: 138 mEq/mL
Potassium: 4 mEq/mL
Magnesium: 2 mEq/mL
Chloride: 102 mEq/mL
Calcium: 12 mEq/mL

which organ mite be involved?
what is the diagnosis?
describe why the sympotms are typical of the disease and include why his problem leads to the symptoms described.
propose possible treatments.

shining armani

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:39 pm
I'm not familiar with mEg/ml so help me out here. Is the calium low? We use umol/L in which 1.2 is extremely low. K, so I am going to suggest that you look up multiple myeloma. The mottled appearance of the pelvic bones sound like lytic lesions and the organ involved would be the bone marrow.
Is this your home-work? Because if it is and I am completely wrong then so are you! Check it out though.
Let me know

peaches 1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:13 pm
Are you in medical school, nursing school, or what? If you are in nursing school, you shouldn't have to DIAGNOSE a medial condition. That is a doctor's job. Here in my state, it is illegal for a nurse to DIAGNOSE or give MEDICAL advice, which is different from a nursing diagnosis. Question

crazylifeofrnmom

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:55 am
Because of the high calcium and the mottle pelvid cradle I would expect a DOCTOR to draw a PTH and an Ionized calcium... Suggestive of Hyperparathyroidism.... When will the answer be posted...

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Help me to solve this case study Please
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:52:44