LPN to RN

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » LPN to RN

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 02:26 pm
LPN to RN
I've been an LPN for almost 20 years and I'm going to graduate in May with my RN. I'm a little nervous and was wondering if anyone has made this same transtition? What kind of experiences have you had and possibly any suggestions for me? Thanks!!

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:49 pm
Yes, I did it in 1991. I'm not sure where you are working now, or where you plan to work, but understand that you will have some new responsibilites, and you will have to think differently than you did in the past.

Be grateful for your experience as an LPN --- you are lightyears ahead of most new grad RNs, and you should be able to transition into anything you want because you have already mastered the fundamentals of nursing! You already know how to manage an assignment, and do most of the tasks.

As far as being nervous, that's OK. But you ought to be able to make the transition with only a few bumps along the road. Are you planning to stay with your current employer/specialty or are you planning to move on?

Laurie 1

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:28 pm
Ginger Snap wrote:
Yes, I did it in 1991. I'm not sure where you are working now, or where you plan to work, but understand that you will have some new responsibilites, and you will have to think differently than you did in the past.

Be grateful for your experience as an LPN --- you are lightyears ahead of most new grad RNs, and you should be able to transition into anything you want because you have already mastered the fundamentals of nursing! You already know how to manage an assignment, and do most of the tasks.

As far as being nervous, that's OK. But you ought to be able to make the transition with only a few bumps along the road. Are you planning to stay with your current employer/specialty or are you planning to move on?

I've worked OB, 3 years, an OB-GYN office 10 and school nursing 6. I have a job lined up in OB when I finish. I'm currently in school full time.
Thanks for the input, it is great appreciated. Laurie

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » LPN to RN
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 10:45:19