looking for help please

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » looking for help please

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
looking for help please
Please advise. I am one month away from being off ER orientation (no prior experience) and feel good about my performance so far--altho I am by no means an expert and have MUCH more to see. I have been told by staff, including docs and chief of ER, that I am welcomed and doing well. Patients and family members tell me they hate our ER, have horror stories about the care they've gotten in the past and have even stated our ER would do well to hire more "caring and compassionate"nurses like me Smile The response I'm getting for the most part is positive.
I love the job, and still have a long way to go tho.
My preceptor ( a veteran with excellent skills) is not the easiest person to get along with. Fights with staff, challenges the docs, ALL the time,creates drama and tension.. I felt sorry for her, tried to be friends and stay on her good side since all this is new to me. Today, to my utter amazement, she tells my manager she does not think I am "where I should be in," my orientation, giving no real concrete reasons to justify her statements and actually going so far as to make things up to make me look bad!!!. I felt sabotaged and blindsided. I think she resents me b/c I am a nice person!! Honest! So, I am disputing this and asking for another preceptor ( I truly believe this woman is unstable) which my manager agrees to do. I have worked so hard to do well here and now I have to ask myself if I really want to work in this ER, or whether or not my manager will keep me!
Does anyone have an opinion please?
Tx
N in chicago

BrownSugar 1

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:05 pm
please see my post "Why are nurses so bitchy" .. thanxz.

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:31 am
Sometimes, in a busy ER, being "nice" isn't what's required. You have to be assertive (some nurses go beyond assertive and become aggressive and pushy), because that's what your patients need --- for you to be their advocate. Advocacy is a difficult thing to learn, especially if you are a brand new nurse, but sometimes that means arguing with the people. But any good ER nurse will argue with the docs if she thinks she's right---because somebody's life depends on it! And because sometimes docs put you and your license at risk.

If your preceptor is such a bad nurse, why do you think your manager selected her to mentor you?

Conflict and learning how to assertively confront your co-workers is essential in a place like the ER. And being "nice" and trying to make friends with everyone is going to lead you to fail! Sometimes, you don't have time to pull someone aside and communicate in a less aggressive style, you have to speak up and stand your ground.

If you haven't developed these skills, perhaps you aren't ready to take on the challenge of the ER just yet. And if this isn't your natural communication style, you may find that you hate the ER!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » looking for help please
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 12:42:50