patient info?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » patient info?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:56 am
patient info?
Hi, My dad is in a hospital out-of-state where he had surgery yesterday afternoon for removal of an abdominal aortic aneurysm, and short of calling, is there means by which one can check on line for his updated condition? I visited the hospital's web site and the closest link to patient info was a link to accounts and billing.
Thanks for any help. He's in N Carolina.
David

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:10 pm
NO

That would be a major HIPAA violation. And obtaining any info over the phone about his condition still requires your father's permission. It's a violation of your father's right to privacy to give out any information over the phone.

Your best bet is to call your father's room and speak to him directly or someone in the family who is physically present.

kimmiejs

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:48 pm
At the hospital I work at when patient's are admitted they are given a 4 digit code. If they want family members to be given information over the phone they are to use this number. If a family member/ friend calls and inquires about the patient only if they have this number can we give out information over the phone. If they do not have this number all we can say is if they are stable or not. I hope this helps.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » patient info?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 05:39:18