ANA National Nurses Week - May 6-12 2005

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Announcements
  3. » ANA National Nurses Week - May 6-12 2005

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:33 pm
ANA National Nurses Week - May 6-12 2005
May 6th to May 12th is National Nurses Week! The theme this year is "Nurses: Many Roles, One Profession".

Ain't that the truth!

Congradulations to all nurses out there, let's get together here and celebrate when the time comes.

Robyn 28

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:46 pm
Quote:
Facts on Nurses Week:

Many efforts were made over the years to get a national day of recognition for nurses. Beginning with a proposal in 1953, by Dorothy Sutherland to President Eisenhower for a Nurses Day that was not granted. In 1974, President Richard Nixon issued a proclamation for National Nurses Week.

In 1982, the American Nurses Association Board of Directors formally acknowledged May 6 as National Nurses' Day. In the same year, President Ronald Reagan signed a proclamation on March 25 proclaiming May 6 to be National Recognition Day for Nurses.

In 1990, The American Nurses Association Board of Directors expanded the recognition of nurses to a weeklong celebration, declaring May 6-12, 1991 as National Nurses Week.

In 1993, The American Nurses Association initiates National RN Recognition Day on May 6, to honor the 2.2 million indispensable registered nurses in the U.S. for their tireless commitment 365 days a year. The ANA encourages its 53 states and territorial nurses associations and other organizations to acknowledge May 6, as National RN Recognition Day

malenurse

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 12:03 pm
Yay for us!

surfgirl

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:16 am
I just want to let all my fellow nurses know how appreciated your dedication to our profession is. I hope you all know that the patience and compassion given each day really does make this world a better place.

Jennifer 1

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:12 am
It's so great to be appreciated!! I encourage everyone to honor their fellow nurses. Some great ideas:

Suggestions For Celebrating Nurses Week
From Kathy Quan,
Your Guide to Nursing.

Nurse Gift Ideas
AllHeart.com Medical Gifts, Tshirts Every Day Low Prices Gifts
www.allheart.com

Nurses Gifts
Nurse gift bags filled with popcorn Nurses totes. We ship.
www.popcornpapa.com

Employee Appreciation
Starbucks & Hallmark, Latte Mug and Giftcard. "You Are Special Today"
www.theobsessionboxco.com

There have been some great responses to the call for suggestions for celebrating Nurses Week (May 6-12). If you'd like to contribute a suggestion, or read the great ideas, please log in to the Forum and voice your ideas. Or you can Email me as several others have done, and I'll compile them.

An idea that could be adapted for Nurses Week is something I helped our nursing supervisor pull together last year for a Quality Improvement meeting. We used this to draw more participants to the meeting, but it was successful in honoring our staff.

Pick a Theme
We used the Academy Awards to base the program on. We matched each staff member up with a movie role and/or former Oscar winner, who's acting role or other position such as directors, cinematographers, etc.
related to the personality or recent events for that staff member. (Not all of the examples were winning roles or even nominees, but they fit the theme.)
For example, a nurse who had demonstrated great efforts to get pictures of her patient's wounds for the charts, was named Best Cinematographer.

Best Screenplay went to the nurse who demonstrated the best efforts at charting. Best Actor went to our staff member who gave the best performance of a nurse who knew why he was making this home visit. (The information he was given about the patient and why she needed care was completely blank!)

Others were based on roles such as Nurse Ratchet (not!). This went to the nurse who gave the best performance of being extremely kind, caring and compassionate in the face of the most difficult patient we had serviced in a long time. (She really just wanted to throttle the patient, but went overboard to be nice instead.)

You could use movie themes, sports themes, even famous nurses. Let your imagination help you to brainstorm. Then let us know how it worked!

Everyone received a certificate of their award with the brief blurb as to why they were chosen for the award. We had a Red Carpet (red fabric or paper rolled out) and made our own silly Oscars from toilet tissue rolls covered in gold wrapping paper with a Styrofoam ball on the top that was spray painted gold.

Power Point Presentations
During their buffet luncheon, one group of nurses played a Power Point presentation on a laptop computer. It looped continuously so everyone got a chance to view it at some point. They had taken pictures of their nurses with patients (who gave written permission to be photographed and their pictures used... be careful about HIPPA!!). They "caught" their nurses in the act of doing what they do best...caring for their patients.
This was a small group, but I think it could work well with enough prep time, for a large group especially where not everyone knows each other. The picture could be captioned with the nurse's name, dept., and even a short tribute from peers or patients.

The presentation could be more or less formal. If you have a projector, a slide show format could be the entertainment portion of your celebration. Or letting it run on a laptop continuously throughout the day so that everyone has a chance to see it.

Print some of the pictures and post in the nurse's lounge. (Again being mindful of HIPPA if patients are included.

Involve Your Patients
Solicit tributes from patients, and former patients. Again, obtain permission to use their names, or allow them to be anonymous. Print their words on certificates, and read them at your celebration.
Hope this helps to get you going. Celebrate yourselves and your peers this year! And let us know what works, and doesn't.

Head Nurse

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:28 pm
Please make sure to check out the forum contest we have running this week.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Announcements
  3. » ANA National Nurses Week - May 6-12 2005
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 07:44:02