Avian bird flu... if it hits will RNs be considered...

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Avian bird flu... if it hits will RNs be considered...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:55 am
Avian bird flu... if it hits will RNs be considered...
public servants?

I was watching this doomsday thing on the History channel about the Avian bird flu and the "what if" it hits scenario. It was quite disturbing but there was a man being interviewed on it that said, "for people who work in healthcare, their lives will be turned upside down." It made me wonder... if God forbid this thing hits... do you think RNs will be called upon as public servants?

Bossy 1

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:58 am
what do you mean "public servants"? Aren't we already public servants?

anglfaith1

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:10 am
Bossy,

What I meant was will nurses everywhere be required to work and help out? I know that when things happen in the world in terms of safety that police officers are all on call to help.

I just wondered if the government would somehow make every nurse be available during that type of crisis.

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:36 pm
Well there isn't a draft like the military, so they can't force you to. But if you work for a public hospital, you could be required to do something. When I worked for our city hospital, the mayor always had the authority to declare an emergency and if you were a city employee (as RNs working for the city hospital were), you could be required to stay and help out. Since 9/11, some state boards of nursing have tried to gather a list of nurses who would be willing to volunteer if a disaster struck their region.

But really, if something like Hurricane Katrina or 9/11 happened in your town, wouldn't you want to do something to help your neighbors?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Avian bird flu... if it hits will RNs be considered...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:04:46