protein in the urine. what does that mean!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » protein in the urine. what does that mean!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

wgersc

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:54 pm
protein in the urine. what does that mean!
i was told that i have 2+ protein in my urine,and calcium crystals. what does that mean and should i be worried.

Ginger Snap

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:37 pm
Can't answer that question without more information.

Do you have diabetes or lupus? Are you pregnant? Do you have a history of kidney stones? Do you have a kidney infection? Protein in the urine can result from inflammation, and it sounds like the calcium crystals could be part of the problem.

It sounds like you are worried, though. You have the right to demand a better explanation of protein in the urine from your doctor. Don't be afraid to express your concerns to him/her.

wgersc

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:40 pm
[quofjate="Ginger Snap"]Can't answer that question without more information.
yes.i have frequent urination, and abdominal pains and bloating
Do you have diabetes or lupus? Are you pregnant? Do you have a history of kidney stones? Do you have a kidney infection? Protein in the urine can result from inflammation, and it sounds like the calcium crystals could be part of the problem.

It sounds like you are worried, though. You have the right to demand a better explanation of protein in the urine from your doctor. Don't be afraid to express your concerns to him/her.[/quote]

wgersc

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:42 pm
yes, i have very frequent urination/along with abdominal pain and bloating.

kimmiejs

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 08:17 pm
"yes, i have very frequent urination/along with abdominal pain and bloating."

You need to make an appointment to see either your medical MD or GYN MD in the next week or so. I am sorry but I do not feel comfortable giving out advice, especially with the type of symptoms that you are having. I am not trying to scare you but when it comes to your health it is better to be safe than sorry.

Drussell52

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:57 pm
protein in urine
wgersc wrote:
[quofjate="Ginger Snap"]Can't answer that question without more information.
yes.i have frequent urination, and abdominal pains and bloating

It sounds like you are worried, though. You have the right to demand a better explanation of protein in the urine from your doctor. Don't be afraid to express your concerns to him/her.
[/quote]I agree with those who strongly encourage you to see your physician or OB/GYN. Here is a definition found for proteinuria. For further self education, visit the www.vh.org web site, (virtual hospital, and view the urology section in their Family Practice Handbook. Therein, you may find something that fits your concern.
"Proteinuria: Abnormal amount of protein in the urine. Proteins protect against infection and aid in blood clot. Diabetes and hypertension are 2 conditions that cause proteinuria".
David

peaches 1

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 04:43 am
protein in the urine.
Remember a nurse can be sued for giving out medical advice or diagnosing a condition. You can, of course, give nursing advice, but let a doctor dispense the medical advice.

Drussell52

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:15 am
Re: protein in the urine.
peaches wrote:
Remember a nurse can be sued for giving out medical advice or diagnosing a condition. You can, of course, give nursing advice, but let a doctor dispense the medical advice.
I see there is a reply to this post about protein in the urine, and surmise the person who replied has had a little to much political correctness infuse their system. There is a difference between advice and opinion. I fear things in our society are getting or have gotten so damn compartmentalized that it only defeats the purpose overall. By the way, the virtual hospital site which I recommended ceased operating on 01/01 due to reported lack of funds. Hopefully in my opinion, you'll get over your proteinuria and the poster will get over their politicouria. See ya!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » protein in the urine. what does that mean!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:24:58