L&D/OBGYN & Nursery RNs

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » L&D/OBGYN & Nursery RNs

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
L&D/OBGYN & Nursery RNs
I am particularly interested in hearing from RNs who work in this field. As I contemplate whether I should go into nursing I wondered if you could answer some questions for me?

- What is the most difficult part of your profession?
- When you went into L&D/OBGYN or working in the nursery did you find it hard to find a to get a job in that area?
- What is the best part about your job?
- Did you go into a internship program to learn L&D?

Any other things that you can share with me about your profession would be wonderful!

JEN :wink:

Ginger Snap

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:20 pm
- What is the most difficult part of your profession?

Shifting priorities. One minute, you can have a quiet labor deck, and the next minute things are crazy everywhere. When I did L&D, I worked in an inner city public hospital, and, quite often, you had to deal with people who shouldn't be having babies, like drug addicts (saw more than one abruption and baby die because mom couldn't stay away from cocaine). Also, stress. People new to L&D don't realize that bad things happen and not every delivery is perfect. Things can change from good to bad in seconds. And, of course, fetal demises. Watching a mom give birth to a dead baby was always the hardest things to bear.

- When you went into L&D/OBGYN or working in the nursery did you find it hard to find a to get a job in that area? No.

- What is the best part about your job? Watching new moms bond with their babies, especially right after birth.

- Did you go into a internship program to learn L&D? There weren't any of those things available when I trained for it.

anglfaith1

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 03:19 pm
^ Thank you Ginger Snap!

Another RN told me the same thing about being a L&D nurse. She said that things do go wrong. She also said that the hardest part of her job was dealing with woman in pain when they are screaming etc.

My 2nd area of interest in working as a rehab RN.

puddin

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:36 am
I agree with GingerSnap. The only other advise I can give you is that maybe you might consider starting with Mother/Baby and easing your way into nursery or labor and delivery. That's the path I took anyway and it worked well for me. Nursery can be intense, more than you would expect. L&D can be really overwhelming for a newer nurse. Plus, at least around here, it's easier for a newbie to get a job in MB than L&D or nursery.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » L&D/OBGYN & Nursery RNs
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 11:29:34