Not A Real Nurse?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Not A Real Nurse?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
Not A Real Nurse?
Hi, Im new here and im so glad i found this website. I am 23years old,married for 6 years, mother of two:Richard 2;Jordan3.I live in Georgia and I attend a community college for the LPN prg. My husband is my biggest fan, he thinks I can do whatever I put my mind to.

But my family on my father's side feel a LPN is not a real nurse Evil or Very Mad and that the only reason I have a 3.6 gpa is because LPN's curriculum is not chanllenging. I feel so hurt my people's comments that sometimes I just want to give up. But it makes me work harder to achieve this goal. I feel anyone in the medical field is making a contribution to society no matter what title they hold even a CNA.

My goal is to become a RN in L&D someday, but by my husband being the only one working and paying for my education out of pocket I choose to take it step by step. Im doing what is best for us financially right now, but all my family does is criticize me and make me feel bad for going for my LPN license first.

So I guess im asking for your personal opinions on whether u think LPN'S are "real nurses"?

Thanks everyone.

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 01:45 pm
There is nothing wrong with getting your LPN first, and if you work as an LPN while working toward your RN, you will be a better nurse in the long run. But don't get comfortable as an LPN and stop there. Continue to press on to your goal, and you will get there. Don't let the negative thinkers in your family pull you down.

If you want to work L&D, you will find it much easier to obtain your goal if you are an RN, since many hospitals use only RNs there.

HeatherLPN

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 03:38 pm
When I precepted, I was asked by a client if I was working on my RN. I said no, just my LPN for now. She told me never, never, never say "just an LPN". Little did I know she was a retired RN. She told me that it's not necessarily your title, but your quality of care, and the heart you put into it.

So yes, an LPN IS a real nurse, as long as they are a caring person in it for the right reasons.

kimmiejs

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
Baloney!!!!!!!!!!
Baloney. When I was in nursing school I learned more working with some of the LPNs. Now I actually prefer working with some of the new LPNs over some of the RNs that have been at my hospital for eons hands down.

puddin

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 07:23 am
Don't ever let anyone talk you out of you dreams! You know what you want and how to get there and even better are well on your way. So, take it from a L&D RN, you keep it up! We have a LPN who is working with us as an OB tech (she is paid as an LPN). She goes above and beyond to help us and is one of my very favorite people to work with. She is currently working on her RN and will be taking a L&D RN position when she graduates. She now has her foot in the door where some new grads wouldn't have the same opportunity. She is a great nurse!

teresa 1

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:27 pm
I've been an LPN for 22 years, and I have ran into a few people who think that I'm not a real nurse, I have done the same things as the RN's I work with, they have never told me I wasn't a nurse. I have worked very hard at what I do, and I have worked most every area of nursing, including L&D, OB-GYN. If it falls in my scope, and I've got training for it. I've done it. I have a friend LPN too, who works ICU,ER, CCU, she's ACLS, PALS, Neonate trained. she's taken every type class you can take. I have had people ask me why haven't I gone on, I'm perfectly happy doing what I do, I'm a traveling nurse, and I make good money, and see the country and meet lots of new friends. Nursing is a hard job, but the patients whose lives you 'll touch will make a difference in your life some day, that person who you help isn't going to ask RN or LPN?? they'll just be glad your there.( and so will you)

recruit

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 03:21 am
Just and LPN?
I totally agree. I started out as an LPN, financially and mentallly this was right for me at the time. My BSN program was a breeze after that and I could work part time while I went back, so we had some money to live. (married to a farmer...)
I heard this comment from some close people too and it still burns me today. They never hesitated to have me look at soemthing or ask a healthcare question. In the back of my mind I wanted to say "are you sure you don't want to ask an RN, or brain surgeon?"
I have several LPNs who work for me and they do the same charge nurse role as the RNs and I hate to say it they are much more perceptive and get things done. at least in my building.
I think you are on the right track. If I'd had the money for the university at the time, I'd go back and do the BSN first, but I didn't have the cash.

Craig 1

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 01:28 pm
Re: Not A Real Nurse?
wannabanurse wrote:
...But my family on my father's side feel a LPN is not a real nurse Evil or Very Mad and that the only reason I have a 3.6 gpa is because LPN's curriculum is not chanllenging. I feel so hurt my people's comments that sometimes I just want to give up. But it makes me work harder to achieve this goal. ...So I guess im asking for your personal opinions on whether u think LPN'S are "real nurses"?

Thanks everyone.

It's a real shame your father's family are so uninformed, and worse that they share it with you. You seem to have chosen a great course of action: "work harder to achieve...". You, alone, are responsible for your actions. Never let someone else, (particulary the ignorant) control your life and feelings. Read "Boundaries" by Cloud.

I'm currently changing careers and I am back in school working on a RN license (August 2006). Where I am enrolled, RN and LPN students are in the same class, same clinicals, same standards, etc. The difference: after three clinical semesters the LPN students are done, and the RN students continue for two more semesters. The RN students can take the LPN exams if we wish after the third semester. LPNs can come back to school and take the final two semesters to become RNs.

I know some schools have separate programs for LPN and RN students. It is incorrect to believe that an LPN is not a "real nurse". I've seen my classmates! You are recognized nationally as a "nurse". The difference is the amount of education. Your family might as well say unless you are a nurse practioner you are not a real nurse. Continue learning!

gailhouser

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:53 am
Nursing is in your heart and soul, not on your name badge behind your name. Smile

stewartm

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:36 am
I'm a nurse, an RN/NP actually. In my practice I work quite closely with nurses and practical nurses. I think that the way we provide care is unique to the nursing paradigm but the differences lie in the scope of practice. The question I ask then is what is a "real" nurse? It sounds silly, but we need to know what it means to nurse in order to do it well. My concern is that practical nurses focus on the task/skill base of nursing and sometimes neglect to acknowledge the wider aspects of practice. Legislatively, in some areas practical nurses are not able to call themselves nurses, as the term nurse is protected and can only be used by those registered in the profession. Having said this, I do believe that practical nurses have a position within the healthcare system and ought to be respected team members. I think that practical nurses ought to be proud of their position. It's OK to be a practical nurse. It's OK not to want to become registered as a nurse. But it's not OK for other clinicians to de-value and disrespect clinicians based on their title. As I mentioned earlier, practical nurses practice within the nursing paradigm, they are nursing practitioners. NP, RN, LPN, NA, whatever we're called, we all come from the same fabric...

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:18 pm
Quote:
it's not OK for other clinicians to de-value and disrespect clinicians based on their title

And you've touched a nerve with me here. Advanced practice nurses and nurses with higher than a BSN do de-value those who haven't achieved your status. I personally resent that attitude, since none of you no longer want to do the really hard jobs in nursing and are less than supportive of those who still do them.

You're right about titles though. It would be better if we could learn to look at the person, not the title after their names.

stewartm

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:28 pm
Ginger Snap,

I appreciate your feedback about advanced practice nurses. I find it sad that you've had, what sounds like terrible experiences, with ANPs. I'm curious to know in what ways ANPs de-value other nurses. When you say "hard job" what do you mean by that?

divephantom19

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 05:18 pm
LPN-"not real"
When I was in RN school, we had LPNs merge with us the last year...I was soooo glad!! They had far better skills, and I learned a lot from them. They work just as hard as RN's, often get "dumped" on, don't get as much respect, and have to overcome the crazy idea that some uneducated people have that an LPN isn't a real nurse! I"m so tired of hearing that. The general public should have to shadow an LPN just one shift, and see the many thankless things they do.

Also a thought-it may be jealousy. Not everyone is gifted enough to be a nurse.

nightnurse 1

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:28 pm
LPN"S can't do it without them
I work on the pediatric floor and we have LPN's that I would prefer to take care of my children than the RN's. A good nurse is worth a million, no matter what title is behind their name! Very Happy

LokiRn93

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:10 pm
Not a Real Nurse
I've worked with LPN's who I thought were RN's because of their knowlege and skills.

HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH!!!! and keep going!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Not A Real Nurse?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:02:22