Question about the long way..

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Question about the long way..

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:01 pm
Question about the long way..
I am 27 years old. I am in graduate school for Health admin and my degree is in psychology. I want to be a nurse and I am looking at becoming an lpn first to make more money (I am a CNA now), maybe the hospital will pay for school and to learn on my way to becoming an RN. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or is this just a waste of time?

Chicago Rebecca

40something retired maybe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 02:05 am
IMO go straight for the RN. (never mind my user name...that's my own personal thing).

I know now at age 44 I wish I wouldn't have been in such a rush as I was when I was in my 20's. Time really goes super fast...I couldn't imagine it then. But now it seems like it was a blink of an eye.

soon2beRN

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 06:29 pm
I agree, I'd go straight for the RN....you'll be glad you did.

dolphin8rn

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:05 pm
I think you will be better off going straight ahead and getting your RN I would even tell you to get your Bachelors degree if you could. I know at the hospital where I work we do not even have LPN's anywhere in the hospital. We do not use them. I think you will be more valuable with your RN and our hospital even recognizes those who have a bachelors vs an associates by pay. Bachelors degree RN's are known as clinical nurses and get a little higher pay. Associates degree RN's are known as Staff nurses.

dolphin8rn

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:08 pm
Another thing to consider is that hospitals around here do this I do not know if they do by you, but if you sign on with them after you finish school they give you tuition reimbursement. Our hospitals do about 10,000 for a two year commitment.

rascal

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 08:31 pm
thank you for such valueable information. im 46 yr old student just finishing my PCA and STNA. headed for RN. thanks for the information

HeatherLPN

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:18 am
I started in the RN program at 30 (career change). I dropped out due to a divorce, then started on my LPN b/c it was quicker. I plan on getting my RN in the next few years. LPN's ARE limited, but I've found alot of places don't use them to their full potential. For instance, a few places around here won't let LPN's start IV's, even if you're certified. Pay and sign on bonuses are a lot higher for RN's too. Good luck Smile

From talking to other nurses tho, it seems that they would rather work with RN's that have experience as an LPN than just right out of school with no kind of healthcare experience. I've met LPN's that have 30 years under their belt and they really know their stuff, but yet I have brand new RN's that don't know how to do a tubefeed. All of it takes time, tho. Just my experience/opinion.

wannabanurse

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:59 am
I say, do what u feel is best for your situation right now, and only you know what that is. Most people would say go for your RN of course, but if u want to take in steps by all means do so. I am getting my Lpn first, and hope to work in LTC Center cause it seems we need more caring nurses in these facilities these days with all the talk of the elderly being mistreated, but just to at least have a job where I like what im doing and making money(which is no concern really)while i go back to become a RN is the best thing my family right now and I dont have a problem with that.

Just do what is best for you and u dont have to just work in a hospital with a lpn license you can work in other areas even if it means working in a LTC center if its what u want to do Do IT

kimmiejs

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:56 pm
RN...
I agree with the others here... get your RN instead of your LPN.

trent1a1

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 09:57 pm
Go for the RN
Because you have a bachelors degree there are accelerated option programs that will allow you to obtain your RN in one year. I had a Masters degree in education and decided to change careers. The program was rough but after it was over I was sure glad that I did it. If I were you, and if you have the time to devote yourself to full time study for one year (the program is intense), I would go this route.If you don't have the time, be assured that LPNs are being utilized in hospitals due to the national shortages of RNs. In my hospital, the LPNs do just as much as the RNs but don't get the same amount of pay which is a real shame. They are able to start IVs, do assessments and almost everything an RN can do.I respect the LPNs because they often have more hands on training than the new RNs and are far more effective as nurses. In fact, I would prefer working with a floor full of LPNs than some of the new RNs who refuse to do direct patient care because they think that they are too good to do it. I have seen LPNs being utilized in both ICU and ER settings. With this in mind, I hope you can make a decision. However, realize that many lpns get their degrees and never return to get their rns. Be sure to set a goal to obtain your RN as soon as possible. With online programs available, this option is even easier than ever. Good luck.

gdean54

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:41 pm
RN has more job openings and travel assignments than LVN/LPN
I am an LVN and work in an Emergency Department, we do everything the RN's do BUT push meds. Those of us who have lot's (I have been a nurse for over 25 years) of experience, are relied upon heavily. But the pay is only 1/2 of RN pay.

If you can get into a program, do it. Unless you think that you will not like nursing. Then, I suggest that you become a LVN and try it and see if you like. I am currently working on my RN. Think hard, because most LVN programs are over 1 year in length, if you have a degree already, there are several programs (normally they cost lots of money) that will get you to Masters in Nursing in 3 years (RN in one).

Good luck 8)

hjwebb

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
I agree that going for your RN is the best bet. I am finishing my BSN, and my school offers an 18 month program for students with a previous degree.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Question about the long way..
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 01:09:21