Hell No I Won't Go! Floating

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Hell No I Won't Go! Floating

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:50 am
Hell No I Won't Go! Floating
The floor where I work is schedueled for 12 hour shifts, 7p-7a etc.
Recently, my manager hired a transfer from another floor who came to us because she was floating too much. She works 4-8 hour shifts during the week and is scheduled for 1-12 during the weekend. Well this has put our staffing in an overage. During the week now when she comes in there are 5 nurses on the floor instead of 4. So, whats been happening during the week when she comes in because there is an extra nurse, the nurses who are there are reluctantly giving up there assignment to this nurse and they are being floated only to start over again. Well, when she came in this Friday,(my first day working with her) she expected someone to give up there assignment to float. I told her that we were taking a stand and that no one was given up their assigmnet to her especially after we had done the majority of the work, passing meds, talking to family member, calling doctors for order, answering call bells. Now that 11pm has come and everything is for the most part calm. Why should we have to start all over again and now instead of documenting on 6 or 7 patients we have to document on 12 or 14 patients. Its not fair. I myself would not expect a person to give up their assignment. I feel she has the nerve and odasity to think anyone else would. The supervisor got involved and stated that one of us (the ones who came in at 7p) would have to float.
I stood my ground and said that I wasn't giving up my assignment. After an hour of altercation. The supervisor called my manager. she called the floor and spoke to me and the nurse who had come in. She understood where I was coming from and ultimately persuaded the nurse who had come in a 11p to float. The floor as a whole is planning a meeting to discuss this unfair practice. What do you think?

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 12:42 pm
Our hospital policy stipulates that if we float outside our area we don't have to function above the level of a CNA at anytime we feel uncomfortable. Guess what I did when i was on the floor? You got it. The moment I stepped off my unit I was uncomfortable doing anything other than vitals and passing trays. Check your hospital's policy for the small print on floating. Since they want to cover themselves from liability, my bet is somewhere in there it says you don't have to do squat if you haven't been oriented to an area or procedure. Just don't expect it to be in bold print anywhere you would expect to find it. They probably have it tucked in between parking procedures and requests for jury duty absence.

They stopped asking me to float, and it never hurt my career. I think they have a "if you can't beat them"attitude with me since I've been offered several mgmt. positions.

Bossy 1

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 02:14 pm
Spiffy is right. Check out the hospital policy on floating and learn it like the back of your hand prior to this meeting. Floating is an issue where ever you work, there is something in writing some where that specifies what to do. Then HOLD THEM TO IT! Management and this other nurse might get pissed, but oh damn well, you're following the hospital policy.
Good luck.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Hell No I Won't Go! Floating
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:10:01