NEW RN ADVICE

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » NEW RN ADVICE

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:46 pm
NEW RN ADVICE
i am a new RN and would LOVE advice about getting organized and time management and keeping up with my floors BUSY pace! can anyone offer advice? i need all the help i can get! my aim screename is nurserobertaf please im me if u want or reply! thanks so much!

Bossy 1

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:08 am
Robert,

Your message is too general.

What area do you work?
What shift?
What are the things slowing you down?
Have you made mistakes or are you just terrified that you will?
Do you feel overwhelmed?
Are you comparing the fact that you are running around while other nurses are sitting around?
Are you not giving your meds out in time?
Do you have to look up a lot of meds and/or policies?
Does it seem like you get the heavy patients?

I think every nurse would have suggestions and helpful "tips" but unless they are focused, they will not be helpful to you.

nurserobertaf

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:09 pm
SOrry for being to vague - and my name is "robin" too.....

I have not been making mistakes and I have been keeping up well, I am just very overwhelmed and FRUSTERATED....is this normal? I just started about 3 weeks ago on my shift (we work 3 -12hr shifts/week) but I am wondering if I should feel mroe comfortable now.

My biggest thing is that I feel like I cant get an organization that works for me. I work 7p-7a and my shift is very busy for our hospital - a med/surg floor - we get EVERYTHING on our floor. my patient load is anywhere from 7 patients if Im lucky to 12, with another RN or usually an LPN and an Aide.

how long will it take before I feel comfortable and get my own organization? i feel inpatient and want to feel comfortable NOW but I know thats unrealistic maybe. Any advice at all? thanks

Robin

Bossy 1

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:01 pm
Hi Robin, I'm Ron and I've been an RN for over 13 years. I started out on a Med/Surg-Tele floor with 12 patients every night on night shift. It was hell, and yes I do have some tips that may be helpful to you...

1. First of all, take a deep breath, relax and remind yourself that you can and will survive. You will survive that night and that week and so on and so on...

2. What is the "umbrella goal" of the unit? In ICU it's to keep your patient alive through your shift. In the ER it's to get rid of your patient as soon as you can. OR it's sterility. Typically, on a Med/Surg Unit the umbrella goal is to pass your meds on time. More specifically, the IVPB meds. Whatever it is, that needs to be your primary focus.

3. On the night shift on a Med/Surg Unit with that many patients you need to "cheat." (I know I'm going to get hell for this but trust me with this one) SEDATE, SEDATE, SEDATE. If the patient has anything ordered with a sedative side effect-GIVE IT! Compazine prn-GIVE IT! Zofran prn-GIVE IT! Benedryl prn-GIVE IT! Morphine-GIVE IT! Vicodin-GIVE IT! If they have more than one-GIVE IT! Also, anything that would stimulate the patient-HOLD IT! Caffine-HOLD IT! Sudafed-HOLD IT!
Why?
Because if you can sedate 10 of your 12, you can handle 2.

4. Delegate anything and everything that you can to the LPN or aide. Sometimes it sucks, but you are the RN and you have the ultimate responsibility to assess, chart and pass meds. They can do everything else.

5. The thing that I have recently obtained that I so wished I had when I was new is my Treo with the program Epocrites. I'm not one to endorse a product, but with this program, I can look up any drug, diagnosis, drip calcuation and more in seconds. It's portable, convenient and a tax write off. Just know that if you get it, search the web for a 50% off discount on the program before you download it.

6. At the end of the shift, remind yourself that you are a good nurse, that you are at the level that you are supposed to be at 3 months out of school, and that every day you will get better. I promise.

Best of luck!
-Ron

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:00 pm
That was a friggen masterpiece Ron. You are 110% correct.

And for those who think your ideas on sedation are wrong picture yourself as the patient.

Would you rather being listening to the assorted grunts, groans, snorts, snores, cries, whimpers, talking, swearing, coughing, sneezing, spiting, shiting, bells, buzzers, chimes, dings, dropped trays, telephones, alarms, fighting, crying, televisions, radios, shavers, air conditioners, fans, toilets flushing, praying, arguing, intercoms, ventilators, pagers, radios, code blues, code reds, doors slamming, doctors bitching, and mostly assorted other noises associated with nurses working their friggin asses off emiting from the halls of satan.

Or would you rather be sleeping?

nurserobertaf

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:50 pm
hey I appreciate the comments. I know it will take time and that maybe I feel frusterated that I am new...I love nursing and what I do; I realize there are gonna be a lot of days where I won't like it - but I will take the advice about the sedation...LOL.....esp on night shift like I work....a lot of my patients, er I mean ALL of them are on some sort of sedative...I'll remember to offer it more now!! thanks again!!

-Robin

1Nrs

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:08 am
Bossy wrote:
Hi Robin, I'm Ron and I've been an RN for over 13 years. I started out on a Med/Surg-Tele floor with 12 patients every night on night shift. It was hell, and yes I do have some tips that may be helpful to you...

1. First of all, take a deep breath, relax and remind yourself that you can and will survive. You will survive that night and that week and so on and so on...

2. What is the "umbrella goal" of the unit? In ICU it's to keep your patient alive through your shift. In the ER it's to get rid of your patient as soon as you can. OR it's sterility. Typically, on a Med/Surg Unit the umbrella goal is to pass your meds on time. More specifically, the IVPB meds. Whatever it is, that needs to be your primary focus.

3. On the night shift on a Med/Surg Unit with that many patients you need to "cheat." (I know I'm going to get hell for this but trust me with this one) SEDATE, SEDATE, SEDATE. If the patient has anything ordered with a sedative side effect-GIVE IT! Compazine prn-GIVE IT! Zofran prn-GIVE IT! Benedryl prn-GIVE IT! Morphine-GIVE IT! Vicodin-GIVE IT! If they have more than one-GIVE IT! Also, anything that would stimulate the patient-HOLD IT! Caffine-HOLD IT! Sudafed-HOLD IT!
Why?
Because if you can sedate 10 of your 12, you can handle 2.

4. Delegate anything and everything that you can to the LPN or aide. Sometimes it sucks, but you are the RN and you have the ultimate responsibility to assess, chart and pass meds. They can do everything else.

5. The thing that I have recently obtained that I so wished I had when I was new is my Treo with the program Epocrites. I'm not one to endorse a product, but with this program, I can look up any drug, diagnosis, drip calcuation and more in seconds. It's portable, convenient and a tax write off. Just know that if you get it, search the web for a 50% off discount on the program before you download it.

6. At the end of the shift, remind yourself that you are a good nurse, that you are at the level that you are supposed to be at 3 months out of school, and that every day you will get better. I promise.

Best of luck!
-Ron

Don't LPNs usally have their own patient assignment that they are responsible for? I'm an LPN and I do. Maybe you'r confusinging LPNs with aids or techs??

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:34 am
1Nrs

You have just been promoted to RN, RNC, MS, BFD, especially the BFD part. You got it. I'd love to have you on our team.!

novice 1

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:40 pm
from one new nurse to another
hi robin!!
i'm also a new nurse in michigan working on a med/surg (afternoons)
unit. i've been a nurse since 11/04 but, have been on medical leave for the last 6 months due to a problem pregnancy. i understand COMPLETELY how you feel which is the whole reason why i looked up this website.
i've come in contact with several different types of nurses. many try to help with the "new nurse" adjustment but, there are some who seem to like to watch you struggle. i was just beginning to feel comfortable on my unit when i had to go on my medical leave. i return to work sometime in december and i'm quite honestly SCARED. Shocked it's going to be like starting over again.
my novice advice.................don't be afraid or ashamed to ask questions. those same nurses were once like us and would also do a bit of struggling if new to another unit. i also write myself little reminders on my clipboard. the smallest of things can slip the mind in a instant on a busy unit.
real nursing isn't like the classroom, is it?? Laughing
good luck AND you/we are going to do great!!

novice

Bossy 1

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 12:28 am
For clarification:

Registered Nurses oversee the "Licensed Practical Nurse" (LPN)or "Licensed Vocational Nurse" (LVN" depending on the state. Even though LVN/LPN's may have their own assignment, their work is always overseen by the RN. Therefore, it is completely within the licensing parameters for the RN to delegate appropriate duties to the LVN/LPN.

In fact, by professional nursing definition, LVN/LPN nurses are defined as "technical nurses". I'm certain that if you contact your State Board of Nursing you will see that I am correct.

So "1Nrs"; No, I didn't confuse LPNs with aids or techs. You ARE a tech! Sorry, but it's true.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » NEW RN ADVICE
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 10:39:44