transfer request denied by HR

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » transfer request denied by HR

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

noelle4

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:42 am
transfer request denied by HR
Hi.I am new here and would appreciate ANY advice. I am RN x 6 years @ teaching hospital, just rec'd denial of transfer to ER -from a tele-nursing job (for past few yrs) I have zero experience in ER, but have always been interested in.
I do have floor exp. in med/surg, trachs, psych, almost everything,before taking this tele-nursing job for the dayhours. Problem is, i only meant to stay in this job for one year, have become very bored, complacent, UNCHALLENGED.
Like i mentioned, my request to transfer to ED was denied by HR,they went w someone w ER experience. I TOTALLY accept that, but am hearing from RN's i work w that it is hard to transfer out of my dept.and that my manager may try to block a transfer for me (!!! Sad ), as this had happened to them!! My manager has never done anything for me, never follows thru w anything, was not happy to hear i want to leave, and ignores the problems in my dept. I have never seen such ineptness in any manager I've ever had!
My interview w ED went better than i expected, so i am naturally disappointed, (and a little suspicious now). My concern is. will this happen again? Does my mangaer actually have the power to block a transfer for me? Do I have any recourse? This job i want to leave is very hard to fill, highly stressful (but good hours), but it is way pasttime for me to move on and I want out!! I don'twant to leave this hospital (altho I have been offered ERposition at my local hospital), but I guess i might have to!
Also, which is tougher nursing--ER or ICU?

ANY ADVICE wil be sincerely appreciated.Thanks and have a nice day today!Smile
noelle

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:22 pm
Most ER's require ACLS, PALS and TNCC. With these under your belt, and your experience I think they would be hard pressed to turn you down. In terms of your current manager not wanting to let you go that tells me you are valued. A quality that the new manager would want as much as the old one wants to hang on to.

I assume you didn't get in to nursing school on the first try (few do), Use the same determination and you will be up to your ears in obnoxious drunks with GI bleeds in no time.

Ginger Snap

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:37 pm
Yes, your manager has the right to block your transfer, if it would create a hardship for the unit. And, unfortunately, there are some nurse managers who will exercise that right. But you're not a slave, and you can take some steps that will get you out of there.

I can sympathize with your plight. I spent 6 months doing phone triage at our local Poison Center, hated it and transferred back to my old unit as soon as I could. But I made it very clear to the organization that I would quit if I wasn't allowed to leave that unit; I also think the manager of that unit wasn't as willing to hold people against their will.

I think McJesus has some good advice. Take some courses that will prepare you for a transfer to another unit, including an ICU course, then try again. If you are still being blocked by your manager, then talk to someone higher up in the food chain, or someone at HR. Let them know that you will quit if you can't find another position. And stick to it. Find a hospital that will hire you where you want to work. Worse case is that you might spend a year with another organization. If you want to come back to that hospital, you'll have some experience, and be an asset to them.

noelle4

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
Wow Smile Thanks for educating me. How naive of me to have faith in the system..
McJ--I appreciate what u said, u actually boosted my confidence, which is just what i need right now.Smile Thanks for the good vibe. Are u in management? You're right, I am determined, and i will not give up-(sailed thru nursing school BTW).
Ginger-thank u for the good advice. U sound like you've been there and know exactly where I'm at- I am going to take an ICU course and submit another transfer, and may decide to hire on at another hospital for awhile (for the experience), if I feel I've had enough..
My manager is avoiding me, won't even return my calls-- does she have to tell me she blocked my transfer?
I am already glad I came on the forum--it's so cool to get support from fellow RN's Smile
P.S. Hey Mc Jesus---Can't wait to get up to my ears in drunks and GI bleeds ( sounds attractive, lol)
noelle

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » transfer request denied by HR
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:16:58