Writing doctors orders

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Writing doctors orders

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

dkay 1

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:13 pm
Writing doctors orders
I am the old school of nursing and am having quite a debate at work...when writing a telephone order from a doctor...when did it become a rule that who ever took the order was responsible for transcribing it to the MAR and faxing to pharmacy.

I am the 3-11 supervisor and by trying to help the hall nurses if more than one needs to talk to a specific MD I have been helping by making 1 call...often I will get several orders for different patients...I have been writing the order and letting the hall nurse know there was new orders to take off...seems the rule here is if you take the order you must follow it throught completly...

dKay

Ginger Snap

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:11 am
I don't know about any "rules" about transcribing orders. Ward clerks or unit secretaries can transcribe orders, if the RN double checks them, so whose responsibility it is to transcribe them shouldn't be the point. Obviously your trying to streamline things and make things easier for the doc receiving the call, but what about your nursing staff? How does what your doing now affect their workload? Do you think that they may feel like their getting a bunch of orders dumped on them all at once? Can you think of a way to accomplish the same thing while fostering a spirit of teamwork with your staff?

Bossy 1

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:16 am
There is a difference between TAKING A TELEPHONE ORDER and NOTING AN ORDER.

If you take the telephone order and write it in the chart under the physician's orders as such, you are not responsible for that order being carried out. You can simply flag it as "Nurse to check" or "New Orders" and be done with it.

However, if you "note" the order, you are taking responsiblity for that order being carried out. If this includes computer entry, faxing or whatever, once you note it, you are basically saying, "I have made sure that the order is correct, and I have done everything necessary so the patient will receive this as ordered by the MD."

Oh, and if it's a STAT order; if you don't note it, than you're not helping anyone.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Writing doctors orders
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:06:53