New Student - associate or bachelor degree?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » New Student - associate or bachelor degree?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:00 pm
New Student - associate or bachelor degree?
Hi there! I graduated high school in April and decided to go into nursing (a natural choice after spending the past 3 years in sports medicine/athletic training and not wanting to pursue that as a career, but also not wanting to give it up altogether) My original plan was to core complete (48 credit hours) at the community college here, and then transfer to UTA and finish my bachelors degree there..

Now that I have actually started school I have come to the conclusion that I really don't want to go to school for 4-5 years for my bachelor's degree (I am also working full time at the moment)

In ya'lls opinion (and I have read Shouldn't a nurse with a bachelor's degree make more money?) , should I get an associates or just tough it out and get my bachelors? My mom is yelling at me to get a BSN, but I hated high school, and I am not enjoying college so far, I think I would rather just get my associates and be done with it for now, and if I really want to later on, then get my bachelor's.

Help! I need to make my decision soon, because next semester I will either need to finish my pre req's for my associates that I can get at the school I am going to, or I am going to have to continue my core complete!

Thanks, I hope my post made some sort of sense!
Danielle

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 03:38 pm
I'd go for the ADN first. Your education will start paying off two years earlier. Then do your BSN at your own pace.

soon2beRN

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 04:17 pm
I can understand your mother's point of view, and honestly from what I've heard many hospitals are pushing their RNs to all have BSNs. However, I've heard thru the grapevine that some of the hospitals (in my area) only give you a 50 cent raise for a BSN Shocked .....so IMO, I'd go with Spiffy's advice.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » New Student - associate or bachelor degree?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 08:11:41