1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nurses Cap

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

BskyB2

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 09:54 pm
Nurses Cap
Hey,

I am a senior in high school and am interested in becoming a nurse and am interested in the history. Did any of you still wear Nurses Caps in the late 1980's. My Mom was not able to remember if the nurses in the hospital where I was born in 1988 wore caps. She does know that the nurses wore caps when my brother was born in 1985. There is a picture to prove it. When did you guys quit wearing caps?

girn

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 10:45 pm
nurse cap
Congratulations on choosing nursing as a carreer. I hope that you will find it as satisfying a career as I have. I have been a nurse for 34 years. I wore my cap for the first year of so but nurses in Minnesota were already beginning to give them up. I was proud of it because I was a recent graduate but it was truly a nuisance. It was difficult to keep attached to my thin hair and I had to keep it clean and find a place to store it at work. I also believed that my patient's should be able to tell the difference between a nurse and nursing assistants and secretaries based on my care of them. In the early 70's, we were also able to wear colored uniforms as opposed to nurse white. It may seem silly now but it was exciting to choose something other than white to wear to work every day. I was proud of my uniform no matter what it was because it signified my role as a professional nurse.
By 1988, we were wearing scrubs at my hospital as opposed to traditional unifoms. That continues today.
If you need information about nursing history, try contacting the professional nurses association in your state. Dont' forget to join when you become a nurse.

Darla 1

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:47 am
Smile Hi There! I graduated in 1987(RN Diploma) and had vowed to wear my cap as I earned it and was proud to be a nurse. However, never had the chance as I soon realized what a nuisance it would be for many reasons from banging into equipment to patients knocking it off;lol. The nurses cap was to be a symbol of 'being a nurse' whether RN or LPN but in my experience wearing a cap doesn't matter as it's our compassion, knowledge and skills that signify who we are. Smile

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nurses Cap
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 04:11:34