being a mom and going through nursing school

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » being a mom and going through nursing school

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 10:44 am
being a mom and going through nursing school
Someone please help me. I just got accepted into nursing school! I am due to start September of 2006. I am 23 years old, married and have a nine month old son. Now I just fornd out I am pregnant again! I am due end of March. I have a mother in law who will help watch them, there is a lways day care and I don't have to work thankfully. My dream is to be a nurse. One of the best things that have ever happened to me was getting that letter last week. I would love to hear from some women who did this with young children at home. I would love to hear that it is possible and I am not crazy. I have most of my sciences and all that out the way. By september I'll only have the nursing classes and clinical. Please someone give me some encouraging words. I will deeply appreciate it!!!!!!

cmpadthotmailcom

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
i am a mom too,and learning for the nclex at home online and books......my baby is in a daycare 8 hours a day she is two years old and belive me it is not easy when u are married+kids and study....but if thise is realy ur gol u will make it we just moved into a new house and i have a lot to do at home and i fill very bad because i cant study.... no time and i have time till mai 2006 for my test hoppe i can make it and wish u luck too

growlowbunch

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
nursing school and babies
I went into nursing school a BSN program three weeks pregnant. I had my first child on spring break and missed no classes. I then got pregnant again at the end of summer break and was due May 1st right at the end of winter classes and one day before summer classes started. I had Jayla on April 27th and missed one day of class. It is able to be done. I had a very supportive husband a friend that helped babysit and supportive instructors as well. In the beginning I had one instructor that said why don't you just wait until later but after I made it perfectly clear tht was not going to happen everyone was great. Be completely upfront with the instructors in the beginning understand you may have to work harder to avoid the stigmatism that you are getting special attention or whatever. Also keep in mind that you don't have to be an A student all the time. Students that graduate first in the class get the same jobs as those that graduate at the bottom. Its not that I'm encourageing mediocracy but sometimes you have to prioritize what is most important. Unless you have hopes of doing an anethesist program one day you really don't have to have a 4.0 and you can have a perfect balance of school and family.

carolinagirl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:18 pm
MOM and Nursing Student
Hi, don't stress yet! I graduated in May 2004. During school, I was a single mom of one, dating my current husband, assisting him with his business and two children. I also had my family and former in-laws helping with my son. Nursing school is very demanding but worth it if you chose this profession for the right reasons. Your kids will be proud. But don't forget them, you can't get those years back. Try to get all the classes behind you that you possible can before the new baby. Nursing is demanding enough, "unwanted" classes are just feel like an extra burden. Hang in there! and God Bless You!.....I would not do it again!!! Thank God I don't have too!

novice 1

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 05:18 pm
HI!!
I decided to go back to school to become a nurse when I looked into the eyes of my newborn and knew that I financially had nothing to offer her. When she was born I only made about $11 bucks an hour (and my husband was/is a police officer). NOW, it was probably post-partum depression Very Happy but, my daughter was my motivation. I already had all but 3 of the pre-req classes completed (due to an associates degree in criminal justice) so, all I had to do was the actual nursing program. I entered the program when my daughter was 6 months old. I won't lie----IT WAS DIFFICULT, however, my graduation/pinning was one of the proudest moments of my life. My family was fully supportive AND my husband was my biggest fan. I did loose some "friends" along the way. Those who are not in the program (or who are not nurses) have no understanding of the sacrifices to be made. Honestly, I made my education first priority. Now, some may disagree but...........nursing school was even a priority over my child and husband. Study groups, spur of the moment exams, medication cards, clinicals, diagnosis reports, etc, etc, etc, were all for my child, husband, and myself. You see, I had to miss some moments with my husband and daughter to see my dream come true. I passed the state boards Sept. of 2004. I currently make $32 dollars an hour, just had another daughter, can afford to work contingent to spend more time at home, AND still married to a patient (and giving) husband. What I did was for "us".
Now, my sister is also an RN and she had just the opposite supportive relationship. She entered the nursing program with 2 small children and a spouse who would sabotage their only vehicle prior to her leaving for school. He would also never come home (the night before exams) with hopes that she would be kicked out of the program. He repeatedly told her that she spent too much time at school and if she walked out that door, she didn't love their children. Needless to say, she's been a RN for about 10 years now, remarried, and happy.
Go where your heart tells you to. YOU CAN DO IT!! My sister was my inspiration---let her be yours!!!!

Good luck AND God bless!!!

novice

autumn lpn

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:31 am
Mommy goes to Nursing School
Hello...Just wanted to let you know that I graduated from Nursing School in Sept. 2004, and I did it with a 12 year old, and 8 year old and I gave birth to my third child in July 2004. I went into the hospital on Friday evening after leaving clinicals gave birth on Saturday afternoon, my baby was sent by ambulance to a NICU an hour and a half away from my home early Sunday morning for complications and I returned to school Monday morning. Now I must admit I couldn't have done it without my Mother and my Husband, but when you are feeling as if it just isn't possible to do one more day, just tell yourself I am a strong woman and with the right attitude and a little help from the ones I love (including the LORD) I can accomplish anything I put my mind to. Good Luck and God Bless!!!!!!!! :wink:

liljulz0613

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:50 am
I'm currently attending Nursing school right now. I'm 19 years old and have a six month old son. My boyfriend, my parents and I decided that I wouldn't work during school but it's hard even still. It can be done if you want it bad enough! Very Happy

HeatherLPN

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 08:23 am
It can be done. It's tough, and there will be times you'll feel like you are neglecting your kids, but it's for their future too. Besides, you are setting an example for them Smile

wannabanurse

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:50 am
Hi, I just want to let u know you are doing something very positive in your life by deciding to become a nurse. Im in school right now to get into the nursing program. Im 23 married with two small kids also and with support u can do whatever u want to do, and dont let anybody discourage you. It will be hard at times but it is so worth it. Just keep believing in yourself and tell yourself every single day "you can do this", thousands of women have and you can too. Very Happy

shining armani

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:02 pm
You are to be commended for even asking for support! Look at all of the replies!
I too started nursing school in 1996 with a 13 month old baby as a single mother. I graduated in 2000 with a science degree and nursing. There will be days when you want to throw in the towel and give up but the degree and the respect of your children will be the carrot in front of your nose.
My advice to you is to not stop asking for support. It will come back to you 10 fold. Always remember to pray and have faith in your creator because there IS support for you.
Go get 'em nurse!

pnichols

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:56 am
mother in nursing shool
I am 28 years old and I just got into nursing school. I have a three year old daughter and I think I can do this. I work two nights a week and one morning and I always feel like I can't get enough sleep. I didn't pass my math part on the pre-nursing test so I have six weeks to take Algebra though correspondence. I have thought that I can't do it in such a short period but I know that I can. If I don't pass this class I will have to wait an extra semester. I am glad to know that other mothers are just as scared as I am. I have to make this work for my child and for myself. I lost a daughter a year and a half ago and I have always wanted to be a nurse ever since. It's hard to make time for your children, husband, school and work at the same time. I can't say for sure that it will happen but all we can do is try. I pray for all mothers that try and good luck to everyone. Hopefully next time I write we will all be on our way to be great nurses. God Bless.

vtach3333

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 10:24 pm
kellyntom
Hi there kelly, Yes it is possible. I had 2 small children at home they were age 2 and 3 at the time. I had been recently divorced too. I used day care. I found that the best time to study was late at night after the kids were in bed. I usually sat down to read at 9 pm and went to bed around 3 am. I also used the day care in my town and even on days that I got done early I would keep the kids in day care till 5 pm and take that time to go to study groups or study in the college library. It wasnt a picnic but I did it. My children are now 17 and 18 and I have been a nurse for 15 years. I remember my first semister of nursing school I took 29 credits because i didnt know that that was too many. It is funny now. I love nursing and couldnt imagine doing anything else. Good luck and you can do it!!!!! vtach3333

vtach3333

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 10:31 pm
to everyone
Words that i live by and we all should. I control my destiny. I was told by a nursing instructor that I would never make it through nursing school. I looked her in the eye and said I control my destiny and even if i have to take your class 1000 times i will pass it and i will be a great nurse. I told her she only knew a tiny piece of me but there was so much more to me than she ever knew. I passed her class and became what i always knew i could be. A Nurse.

his angels tears

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:03 am
you can do it hun, i had 5 kids, a singe mom to boot , a job and carried 24 units a semester, have faith in urself and follow ur dreams Smile oh btw i ended up getting my masters last year Smile

nursebrann

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 02:10 pm
Hi there my name is isabell, i am a Registered Nurse in the UK. I was raising my daughter on my own, i owned my property at which i had a mortgage i had a car to pay. Now i had many obstacles that would have jeorpodised my goals to be a nurse but i did it. i have to admit i had support from my mum and dad. They so wanted me to become a nurse as i am helping people and my goodness they are so proud of me. financially i had a bursary, social benefits and i worked part time to accommodate my living but it was hard but i did it, so what i am saying if i can do it as lone parent anyone can do it believe me. so go for it girl x

andrea1234

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2007 03:50 pm
DON'T GIVE UP!! I attended nursing school, worked full time at night and on week-ends, plus took care of a household, and a single parent of a 4 year old. Sit down and really think if this is what you want. That will be your answer if yoy can do this or not. There were times that i didn't get home from work till 9:30p.m., let the babysitter leave, saw my child for 30 minutes, prepared my food for the next, straightened my house, laid down long enough to get child to drift off, and did care plans, studied for test, or prepare myself for the next clinical day that i might have had 1 or 2 hours of sleep and was leaving at 5am to make it to my clinical sight by 6:30am but it was worth it. I never once questioned if this is what I really wanted to be. I kept my grades at 85-90%{program requirements} and i made it. At graduation I cried, my family cried. Keep your head up. If you need anything, let me know. I was the queen of care plans!!!!!!

titi32

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2012 04:37 pm
please give me a tip on how to cope with nursing and kids,i am a single mum of 2,5,and 12 years old,i am to start nursing school in september kindly reply me thank you.

ellarapn

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 07:59 pm
@titi32,
How is it going titi32? I am a new mom to a 7 month old and getting ready to start an accelerated BSN program and I am so nervous! I have been home with my daughter since her birth and this is going to be a huge change for me not to see her all the time. I'm so worried that I am going to miss something that I will regret not being there for. It's only a 12 month program but that means that they are cramming a lot of material into a short amount of time. I hope I can keep up and still have time to enjoy my daughter. Any tips? Are you making it work?

Hlb92

Reply Wed 25 Sep, 2013 12:00 am
Hello I am a stay at home mom of a 2 year old. My fiancé works a 8/430 job and goes to school on weekends from 8am to 6pm. I am currently in school two days a week I will be in the nursing program summer of 2014 just about 7 months. I am so nervous and worried I won't have time to study or anything I don't know what to do. I never have time to study my daughter is very needy and I need advice from other moms who did it !!

MitchellFerrel

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 02:00 am
Hey, don't worry dear, when I was in nursing school there is a friend of mine who also have the same situation like you, and now she is a responsible head nurse. As you told you have mother in law, she can take care for your child or you can also take him with you. Never lose hope, always keep going toward your aim because nothing can be happier than successful completion of your dreams.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » being a mom and going through nursing school
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:48:14