Communication Assignments

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Communication Assignments

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

MJulie

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:07 am
Communication Assignments
Hi there, Im new to this. Im a first year nursing student with an interest in taking up the child branch nursing. I live in wales.

We've been given an assignment to do which has to be 4000 words long on some aspect of communication skills in the nursing profession and on wards. I have absolutely no fluffing clue where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please please please

Ginger Snap

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:38 am
I'd do something about Conflict or Confrontation, since both of these are typical communication problems in nursing. How do you confront someone (either a patient, peer, or other professional) about a problem or issue? What style of communication works best for each and why?

HeatherLPN

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 08:27 am
Or you could do different aspects of therapeutic communication since that's so important for your patients and their families.

Ginger Snap

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 10:36 pm
Therapeutic communication is really only an advanced form of "Active Listening", so anything that helps you focus on improving your listening skills would be an excellent topic. Therapeutic communication differs from "Active Listening" because therapeutic communication is usually goal directed.

Truthfully, there's a wealth of topics you could pick. Communicating with difficult people is another good one, because you will inevitably encounter at least one difficult person in your nursing career, especially someone who pushes your buttons.

Just a few suggestions:
Difficult Conversations: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553456121/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-3974706-9577618?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Effective Listening: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471015873/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-3974706-9577618?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

People Skills: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067162248X/ref=pd_sim_b_6/002-3974706-9577618?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
Quote:
Eighty percent of people who fail at work do so for one reason: they do not relate well to other people. One's productivity as a supervisor or manager, nurse or secretary, mental health worker or janitor, laborer, attorney, physician, clerk or minister is greatly enhanced by the ability to communicate well.

A mechanical engineer mused, "I thought my engineering degree was all the training I would need. But I spend most of my time on people problems." A teacher commented, "I was educated to be a physics teacher. Since I 've been in the classroom, I discovered I teach people. I spend most of my time trying to restore order. Why didn't my graduate program help me with this?"

People need people. "When somebody's presence does really make itself felt, it can refresh my inner being, it reveals me to myself, it makes me feel more fully myself than I should be if I were not exposed to its impact."

Conversely, lack of communication or frequent exposure to poor communication diminishes ones selfhood both emotionally and physically. Many believe that mental illness is primarily a problem of inadequate communication. The psychologically sick individual has not achieved good relations. As Carl Rogers wrote, "The whole task of psychotherapy is dealing with a failure of communication."

Darla 1

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 07:38 am
Re: Communication Assignments
M'Julie wrote:
Hi there, Im new to this. Im a first year nursing student with an interest in taking up the child branch nursing. I live in wales.

We've been given an assignment to do which has to be 4000 words long on some aspect of communication skills in the nursing profession and on wards. I have absolutely no fluffing clue where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please please please
Smile
One of my favorites is teaching patients/families. It's so important to assess readiness/willingness and the most effective ways to teach from demonstrating to verbal reinforcement.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Communication Assignments
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:55:28