Nursing Student Questions

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing Student Questions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:33 pm
Nursing Student Questions
I'm starting school in 2 weeks to become a LPN, I'm 18 and this has been my dream since i was five...i had some questions for people....and probably will have more when i start studing so i was wondering if any one would be interested in helping me......first question i kno is petty but i wear acrylic nails, have since the sizth grade....i kno in school they tell me i cannot have them....when i start to actually work....will i be able to???

Ginger Snap

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:51 pm
Depends on where you work, but the last hospital I worked for banned acrylic nails for all healthcare workers --- too much danger of passing infections around the hospital.

nurseminnie

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 08:20 am
Thank you ginger snap...you seem like a person that if i have studying question you kno your information.
As the week runs out and I'm starting school I'm getting nervous, as to how am I going to remember all the different fluid amounts like ml, cc, l, I'am a terrible math person, and I kno it won't be in the first week of my schooling, I'm just afraid that's what's going to prevent me from suceeding well.

HeatherLPN

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:32 pm
I had a terrible time with the math at first, and never thought I would grasp it. Just take your time with it, read the question thoroughly, and relax. You'll be fine Very Happy

soon2beRN

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:31 pm
I agree, I am not a fan of math....but try and relax !! Sometimes your emotions can be your worst enemy....see if you have math tutors at your school and work on practice problems in your spare time....trust me it will click !!

soon2beRN

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:39 pm
I know that ALL of our area hospitals have banned acrylic nails for health care workers.....and honestly, you probably don't want to wear them b/c of all the bacteria that can accumulate under them and the issue of cross contamination......i used to wear them.

HeatherLPN

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2005 03:38 pm
There are a lot of sites that have practice math questions, along with tutorials.

http://www.alysion.org/dimensional/analysis.htm

http://www.campus.nvc.cc.ca.us/adnorientation/math_practice.htm

http://www.delta.edu/tlc/TLCStudySupport/mathforscience/NursingMath/IVFlowRate/ivflowrate.html

http://www.accd.edu/sac/nursing/math/peds2.html

http://www.nurseshift.com/calc.htm

rascal

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:09 pm
help
this is a discusting habit i have had, all my 45 years of life. now that i am studying to someday become a nurse. i want despirately to quit. i bite my nails, even without thinking. wow. i dont want all those germs in my mouth.
fake nails are so beautiful but i understand from my RN instructor, you will help spread Lots Of yucky stuff to everyone. but i also dont want to be putting that ugh-y stuff in my system either.
maybe we can wear our beautiful fake nails when not scheduled to work--like the weekends??
rascal

icueduc8or

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2005 11:28 am
nails you weren't born with
That's what our Infection Control Dept told us when they explained to what extent we had to remove our artificial nails and extenders/tips. I guess the story goes something like this. According to the CDC, you know, the experts on infections and the diseases they cause? Well, they have found that even with the best hand hygiene techniques, we are growing some nasty organisms that even the "big gun" antibiotics can't kill. Now, this may not be an immediate threat to us healthy folks. But our patients? Not so. Rather than helping them, we found we were jeopardizing their very lives....not to mention the burden and cost to all concerned.

So sorry to preach. As you move along in your growth as nurses, you'll discover "evidence based" practice. It's how we grow and get better at what we do. You may have already learned and know this. But if just one person learns this and just one patient is helped, then it's worth it...I hope.

Darla 1

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 08:00 am
Smile Hi All! I agree with all replies regarding infection control. I'll just add that artificial nails, too much make-up, excessive jewelry, etc is unprofessional while working. I've worked with colleages who came to work looking like fashion models(being kind) and they were more concerned with primping during their shift vs caring for patients. On the other hand I've worked with colleagues who looked like they slept in their clothes. To be accepted and treated as professionals we must look like one and act as one. Hope I don't offend anyone or sound like a prude Smile

ga gurl72

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:05 am
I agree with Darla. You should come to work clean, and simple. No nails, no nail polish, natural makeup, and clean, simple hair. The attention shouldn't be on you, but rather on your patient. Not trying to sound prude eithier. :wink:

abbeygirl

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:10 pm
I feel it is very important to go to work looking nice and clean. I always manage time to fix my hair and put on my makeup. I wear simple jewlry and am told I always look very nice. We can wear any color scrubs as long as they are not too bright. I usually choose, navy;s, beige, blacks, or red.

I never fix my makeup during my 12 hour shifts yet it always stays fixed and I work in a fast moving environment where anything can happen and it does. I wear my nails short but I use the American polish which gives the impression I have nails. I have them cut and fixed about every 2 weeks.

Which would you like touching you someone who looks like they just got out of bed and came to work with a smokers yellow to their nails or someone with neat nails.

We can't were artificial nails at out hospital either. That is fact of life and we must face it. As for biting my nails I think I would get help with that because that may not be a very good thing to do. I remember when I was in about 4th grade we were shown a film on the nasty things under out nails and to this day I remember that and can not put my fingers in my mouth. There are times when I would really like to chew my fingers off but remember those big nasties under there.

Good luck with everything. You will make it and the math will come. Believe it or not it will.[/img]

cultura

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 10:53 am
Some cases of articificial nails have been linked to adverse outcomes:

16 babies died in a neonatal ICU in Oklahoma City from nosocomial infection (pseudomonas) that was traced to two nurses with articial nails.

An outbreak of postop infection (serratia) in cardiovascular patients was traced to an OR nurse with artificial nails.

A deep wound infection (candida) of a post-laminectomy patient was traced to an operating room technician with articifial nails.

So as you can see, several different organisms may be involved making it difficult to identify a common cause of infection.

Some reasons that artificial nails can cause and spread infection :

Most handborne microbes concentrate in the "subungual zone" (the space between the fingertip and the nail), and long nails of any material (artificial or real) make it harder to clean this area. An artificial nail can separate from the natural nail base if bumped or snagged, leaving an opening that harbor dirt and germs (Gram-negative bacteria or fungi). Long nails are more likely to tear or create microtears in latex gloves, bringing nurses into contact with skin or fluids. Not just artificial nails but also jewelry can also harbor bacteria and infection. Several studies have shown that skin underneath rings is more heavily colonized with bacteria than skin on exposed fingers. Furthermore, it was found that nurses can carry these microorganisms for months underneath their rings!

Note: In the past the recommended standard for hand hygiene was vigorous handwashing with soap and water for 30-60 seconds. The CDC has revised the standard and now recommends using alcohol based handrub if the skin is not visibly soiled. For visibly soiled skin, handwashing with soap and water and friction is still recommended.

Hope this helps! We all can use a refresher couse some time!

pbbh

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:27 pm
fake nails
Sorry Honey,
The nails have got to go! They put your patients in jeopardy and you as well!!
A font of infection! Remember, your vanity is never worth your patient's well being! This goes for OR nurses who love to push back their hair covering to show off their bangs or dangling earrings!!!

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Nursing Student Questions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:29:17