Base rate for new RN.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Base rate for new RN.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HERrn

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:19 pm
Base rate for new RN.
Hello. I am wondering if anyone from the Philadelphia area can give me an idea of the going average base rate/salary for a new nurse working in a city hospital. I have a BSN and am currently interviewing at large teaching hospital in Philadelphia and the base rates I am being offered seem low. I am new to this process and am not sure if I should settle with what I understand to be a low offer or if it is negotiable. I am beginning to wonder if there really is a nursing shortage...
All advice is appreciated.

Justanurse

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:19 pm
Hey the nurses in Virginia start off between $17-$21 an hour. I dont think nurses salaries are that great either. For what we are responsible for we surely dont get paid enough Crying or Very sad

Neznu

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:23 pm
$$$$$
I always ask for 3-5$ more than what I really want and negotiate from there, yes I actually did this out of school as a new nurse...my advice to u as a new nurse, is u may need to get ur feet wet in Med surg bout 6 months, then move to a specialty unit and ask for more money, every time u move to a diff spec unit u should recieve more $$$ then go to a unit where u really want 2 be and wha-la ur making big big bucks doin what u like....also getting hired on is a process....don't sweat it...if ur good they will hire you!!!! so have faith.......peace out

HERrn

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:51 pm
I have a hard time accepting $19-21/hr when I made 14 and change as a PCT while in nursing school. You would think a baccalaureate degree from an accreted and respected college would be taken into consideration.

soon2beRN

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 07:29 pm
I'm graduating in December (ASN) and have gone on a couple of interviews.....the going rate for GNs in the St. Louis area is about $17/hr....if you have prior experience as a Tech they give you a little bit more....they offered me 51 cents more at one hospital and only 30 cents more an hour at another......there are shift differentials involved too so it helps a little. I calculated it out and the most I could make as a GN working nights/weekends would be about $21.50. Once I passed boards and the fellowship was over one hospital had shift differentials of
$2.75 eves, $3.75 nights, $1.50 weekends and $2.00 holidays....so that's a little better. They also gave a 50 cent pay increase once you get your BSN....plus there were a few other hire on benefits.
I completely agree about the base rate being so low......my husband has a high school education, works in a factory and makes as much as I will as a GN......I guess at my age I'm looking for a career that is in demand, I know that where ever I go, I can find a job.

Spiffy McJesus

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:25 am
This should help. It is dead on accurate for my area

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_HC07000001.html

corbanrn

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 03:58 am
As a new grad in Chicago I started at $25/hour for nights and $27/hour on weekend nights. I have been working for about a year and a half and now make $29.10/hours for nights and $31.10 on weekend nights. Keep in mind though that the cost of living in Chicago is higher than other states.

rascal

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 06:04 pm
im still in the pre-requits stage of my education. I also have an desire to do nursing to help people. The money to me, is not as much a priority as helping people. But i understand what you all are saying. You do sacrifice alot of time and energy, and money to get through school.
and you are responsible for the lives of others, right?
well, from my vantage point, i have struggled to keep a roof overhead, food in my refrig. etc. so, hey, if they offer me 17.00/hour. wow. i will feel rich. but i wont tell the interviewer that. from my point of view, wow. that is alot of money. but i dont ever want to do it for the money, ever. i want to help the children.
just like any other job, you do a good job, you will be rewarded.
and we can appreciate that we have a job.
have a great day helping others feel better!!
rascal

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Base rate for new RN.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.14 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:15:27