continuing education?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » continuing education?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 02:26 pm
continuing education?
I have been lurking at the nursing forum for nearly a week, and joined last Friday as a guest, at home Medical Transcriptionist by profession. Today, I signed up for a 30-day trial of Taber's on line, and am curious to know in the nursing profession, and move toward electronic records, how you keep up on new terms, medications, and other such things? Do you see a team approach to patient care evolving, or are conditions seemingly compartmentalized as was the case when I worked at a local nursing home near me. Thanks in advance for your response!
David Exclamation

Ginger Snap

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:07 am
Well, the staffing pattern in nursing homes is usually considered "team nursing", but what you saw was the way that bad teams function.

There are other staffing patterns out there, but if your only exposure to the nursing profession was in long-term care, then you haven't seen the things that a well-functioning team can do. I used to see it when I worked L&D in a large public teaching hospital, and we would have an emergency come in late at night. Everybody flew into action, and everyone knew their role. Some ERs and ICUs also have developed these cohesive teams.

Drussell52

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:52 am
thanks
Ginger Snap wrote:
Well, the staffing pattern in nursing homes is usually considered "team nursing", but what you saw was the way that bad teams function.

There are other staffing patterns out there, but if your only exposure to the nursing profession was in long-term care, then you haven't seen the things that a well-functioning team can do. I used to see it when I worked L&D in a large public teaching hospital, and we would have an emergency come in late at night. Everybody flew into action, and everyone knew their role. Some ERs and ICUs also have developed these cohesive teams.
Ginger Snap, sorry to not get back to you and your reply sooner then today! That's nice to hear, meaning a team approach to patient care does exist! Ideally, it is probably something all desire to see, but in an imperfect world, it is something for which to move toward. Thanks again for the comment..
David Smile

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » continuing education?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 08:55:46