Are facial piercings appropriate?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Are facial piercings appropriate?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Kayla 1

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:01 am
Are facial piercings appropriate?
A fellow co-worker has quite a few facial piercings, and she's talking about getting more. I don't believe it's appropriate for the workplace. Honestly surprised our manager hasn't said anything yet. I just feel that we should be presentable for all our patients and unfortunately it is not appealling to the elderly. As a nurse our goal is to make our patients comfortable. Am I being petty?

surfgirl

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:49 pm
I've been to hospitals that a very anal when it comes to piercings and tattoos and others don't seem to care. If the piercings become to much, her manager will say something. I a co-worder with a nose piercing which I find acceptable.

sn 1

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:51 pm
It's hospital policy for safety purposes. You wouldn't want one of those being pulled out by a patient.

malenurse

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:53 pm
There are basic standards when it comes to being a nurse. This should be no surprise to anyone. You may not like the rules but by pursuing a career in nursing you accepted those rules.

jeremyrn

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 02:05 am
As long as the piercings don't pose a safety hazard (i.e. getting caught on something) and are sanitary, I don't know that there is much that can be done about it. I have a tattoo on my arm and I asked my DON when I was hired if I should cover it. She said it didn't matter because there was nothing she could do about it. I do try to keep it covered anyway. My point is, today, with the nursing shortage, you need a better reason than a nose ring to turn away a competent nurse. Most places look the other way just to get more nurses on staff. I wonder if they would notice if I spiked my hair and dyed it lime green...nevermind. I'll just shave it and get a tattoo on my head.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Are facial piercings appropriate?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:56:18