Should a nurses life outside of work effect their license?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Should a nurses life outside of work effect their license?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:59 pm
Should a nurses life outside of work effect their license?
For example, maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If a nurse cannot take care of his/herself does that reflect her ability to care for others?

Possibly..if what they do in their personal time keeps them from being quick on their feet and in their mind a patients life could be at risk. But where do you cross the line. Since we live in a free country, one's health conduct is no one else's business. But you would think that working in the health industry you would not only care about others but also your own health.

radamsllccedu

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 04:51 pm
In most states, their respective Nurse Practice Act in some cases govern what they do in the private sector. For example, if I enjoy going out to the bar and drinking, and end up with a DWI, my nursing license could be affected. Another example would be drug usage, if a nurse is found to be positive for drugs, the license could be revoked or put on probation. I am licensed in the state of Missouri to practice Nursing. We must all remember that to practice nursing is not a benefit, it is a granted privlege that may be taken away. In Missouri, we are expected to exude professionalism in all that we do; in the health care setting as well as our interactions with others in the community. We all chose to be nurses and work hard for our license. The Nurse Practice Act of your state has most likely been in force for many years before you became licensed. Unfortunately, in most cases people become nurses and then do something that puts their license in jeopardy. Had they read the Nurse Practice Act before the incident, they may not have done it. Ignorance of the law (in this case the Act) is no excuse. Departments of regulation are not very lenient when it comes to violations of the Nurse Pactice Act. I would suggest that you take 30 min. to an hour and read the Nurse Practice Act that governs your license.

Ginger Snap

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 11:47 pm
Quote:
For example, maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If a nurse cannot take care of his/herself does that reflect her ability to care for others?

Well, eventually every nurse becomes old or sick; some are injured in auto accidents that can drastically affect their ability to work. Does that mean we should just throw them away?

Also consider the fact that there are a number of fields in the nursing profession that a nurse with less than perfect physical abilities can still provide a valuable service to the profession.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Should a nurses life outside of work effect their license?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 08:20:30