New nurse problem

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » New nurse problem

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jalyce

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:47 am
New nurse problem
I am a new charge nurse working in a long term care facility. My difficulty is with a CNA. She is very young and not at all motivated. Her work is sloppy and she grumbles about every assignment, wanting to make sure she is not having to do more than anyone else. To the point of counting how many VS each CNA has on the list to be obtained. She sulks when I try to talk to her about her attitude or her work. Administration is not helping as I think they see this as a test of my ability. Any ideas on how to motivate this girl? Or at least how to deal with her. THanks

Ginger Snap

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:54 pm
I don't think administration sees this as any sort of "test of your abilities". Like nurses, good, reliable CNAs are difficult to find, so some facilities will tolerate a lot just to fill a position. Look around your unit, and ask yourself about the quality of the other CNAs on the unit. What is the quality of their work? Is she working with anyone who is modeling better behavior or is it just more of the same?

First, you need to be realistic about what you can and cannot accomplish with this girl. YOU probably can't change her attitude, but you CAN limit your response to it. You can remind her that it is not her responsibity to make out the assignments. You can write her up for things you find unacceptable. Most good DONs will follow-up with a personal chat with the CNA involved in your complaint, and, while she may not like you, she might not be so vocal about things in your presence in the future. You can request to have a face-to-face meeting with her in the presence of your DON to "clear the air". With enough of this sort of pressure, she might just resign, giving your LTC facility the chance to find someone with a better attitude. One adminstrator I know has a favorite saying "If you want to clear out the creek, you have to remove the hogs." In other words, she just might need to go.

Finally, take a good look at the way you are currently running your unit. Is there any possibility that some of her complaints are legitimate? Do the other CNAs on the unit share her feelings? And, is there any good thing that she does do that you could compliment? If you do manage to see some improvement in her work or her attitude, you want to make certain she knows that you noticed it, and that you appreciate it.

Neznu

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:42 am
charge in texas
Been there done that....praise helps alot!! most young people do not have enough older people (relative term b/c your as old as you feel) to give them positive strokes...try to get in her world, (is she wiping one too many heinies?) try praise for 8 shifts in a row see if it works if not go to plan B, if so problem solved Razz .

Neznu

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:44 am
where are u?
jalyce, where in texas are u? I'm in central texas 8)

jalyce

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:31 pm
I'm in Pennington, Texas. Close to Lufkin area.

Also, I tried praise with the aide the first few weeks on the job, which only seemed to make her think I was easy to please and she could slack off her work. She doesn't have any more work than any of the others. I rotate their duties daily, and try to divide up the work as evenly as possible. But we all know it isn't always going to be an even load, not on the nurses either. I just don't know how to reach her.

Neznu

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:53 pm
cna woes
Plan B: she is a bucket that has a hole in ..... what ever you try to do it won't work b/c of the hole ... it's hard work but your gonna havta make her accountable ... check in with your boss often and have a sit down with her (your boss or employee)with a witness .... never have a "he said she said" discussion w/o a reliable witness, this helps if your a middle manager ... too bad administration wants to test you ... they are wrong for this and sooner or later they will lose good nurses from taking that approach .... by the way buckets with holes if "groomed" make really good employees!

I have a "pat em on the back and kick em in the butt" approach it works for me, this is what I do: Wait till after 2nd break go to their area then complement the cna on their work, then approach the problem at hand, ask them how are they going to solve the situation? and never sit down, tell the cna your expectations and keep it short and be the first to walk away.
Lets say he/she keeps up the B/S, and you've decided to move it into your office, with a non threating witness, or not, it's your choice, now we decide if you really like working here or not....I give them a chance to tell everything they like about their job, and what is currently causing a problem not just for me but for the floor as well b/c when an employee has a problem that is causing trouble for me, it most likely is flowing over to other areas as well; since I'm going to win, we gotta get it straightened out and go on about our business ..... while he/she is talking look at their body language ... are they open or closed .... are they making a point or just ranting on? focus in on the second or third sentence which is where they will most likely get to the point .... then don't give em an answer .... say it's been good speaking with you I have a better take on this now and I'll get back to you soon, (this has to "marinate") .... (OK remember you took this job and for all rights you like it so hang in there, it's like a big chess game!!) do you see where I'm going with this? most problems the employee will I.D. and solve on their own usually in 2 meetings. Consistancy, you must be consistant...your new? new to nursing or management? if both read the book the 5 minute manager, and find someone outside of nursing that oversees employees and does it well and is respected and learn from him or her what she does, I did this b/c most of my nurse manager friends were too busy to help me in the beginning. Also figure out what type manager you are and stay true to yourself and stay in the pilot seat ... talk to yourself and tell yourself what a good job you are doing...set your course and stick to it ! God bless....neznu

camayscatch

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 05:54 pm
cna woes
One thing that I have found effective, is to praise the employee in front of her peers. Another thing is to find out something about their personal life.
Sometimes they have problems at home which are spilling over into their work situation. You might "walk a mile in their moccasins" to get some insight. You have the right attitude to try to make sure your staff can work together in relative harmony! Hang in there!!

Wildflower63 1

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:42 am
My first guess is that she doesn't like the job at all and will quit on her own. If she doesn't, you have to start writing her up. If you have problems getting other nurses to work with this aide, tell them to do the same the minute she gives them a problem or report her to you. Write her up every time she is a problem. She will quit.

I have always been respectful and given new people a chance to improve. It sounds like you have already tried talking to her. Watch for her to do things against policy. She keeps giving you a hard way to go taking an assignment, write her up for insubordination. Take another nurse with you to a private place and explain again that we all have to work as a team and don't always get the group we want. This applies to everyone and you have tried to avoid writing her up and talked to her about this. End it there. Don't respond to anything she has to say, just in case she is furious or makes a ton of excuses. Tell her you have nothing further to say on the subject and take it up with the DON.

I know it sounds mean. Getting rid of them is doing your patients a favor and the aide. No one wants to do work they just don't like. Your aides have a big problem taking up the slack from someone who isn't doing their share and I see no point making them miserable. It's no fun being the bad guy, but you are probably going to make a lot of people's life at work better by doing so.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » New nurse problem
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:21:10