Working adult

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Working adult

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:49 am
Working adult
Does anyone have any advice regarding people who work and can't afford to quit their day job or work part time? I don't have anyone I can move in with to attend nursing school. I'll be working full time, going to school full time and trying to study.

Ginger Snap

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:52 am
Keep your mind focused on your goal and keep your priorities straight. Do only those things that will help you make it to your goal.

When it comes to your house (or apartment), do only what's necessary. Forget about cleaning the house weekly or washing the dishes (that's not going to help you through school); try to eat things that don't require you to cook or wash dishes. If you can spare a few bucks to pay someone to come in every month or so to do the cleaning, do it.

Don't know what kind of work you do now, but take every spare moment you have to do some studying, whether it's a fifteen minute break or your lunch break. If you rely on public transportation, study on the bus. You'd be surprised how much you can get done while someone else is doing the driving.

Days off from work are for studyiing and doing school projects. Breaks between semesters are for catching up on things around the house that you didn't get done while you were in school and, if you can afford it, vacations and fun.

Consider taking out a student loan to help pay the bills. I used the GI Bill, and some programs from the military to help supplement my income while I was in school.

Always find some time to exercise, meditate or pray. These are great stress relievers (walking & running always helped me; once the endorphins were flowing, I found I could understand everything I was learning so much better). I also found listening to motivational tapes helpful, as well as attending a church that practiced the "Power of Positive Thinking".

Eat a healthy diet, and make getting enough sleep a priority, even if you have to play catch-up on a day off.

Remember that you are making a committment to accomplish a very important goal, and the sacrifices you make now are only for the short-term. There is an end, and every step you take gets you closer to achieving your goal. The rewards for the sacrifices you make today are well worth it.

And, as an added incentive, think about giving yourself a very special gift at the end of your education. I took a cruise to the South Seas, one of my classmates went to Europe. Whatever it is, make sure it's something you've always wanted to do.

And above all else, try to enjoy the journey. You have the opportunity to meet new people & experience new things, while you stretch yourself a bit.

Wildflower63 1

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:36 pm
I had two small kids and an abusive husband. I didn't work, knowing my marriage just might go down the toilet. I did give my husband a choice, either I work for minimum wage or not at all and go back to school. He liked the idea of more money and opted for me not to work.

You have to understand the circumstance and how long ago it was. At that time, it was acceptable for a mother of very young children not to work, but that probably isn't a choice for many women today.

I was fear motivated, only. I wasn't sure that I could realistically live with my husband. I didn't want a divorce. I just wanted a way out, just in case I needed it. The more earning power I got, the more demanding, controling, and abusive he got. I didn't want to leave, but he really scared me one day.

I took my kids, a few clothes, and 1k with me. I got such a cheap apartment, I was shamed to bring my kids there. To this day, it saddens me to think of the life we planned, for our family, and just what it turned out to be. I am glad that I didn't make a different decision aside from getting an education.

That was long ago. I'm still a nurse. I don't regret my decision, even though it was hard.

paigerizme

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:16 pm
Re: Working adult
sriblanc wrote:
Does anyone have any advice regarding people who work and can't afford to quit their day job or work part time? I don't have anyone I can move in with to attend nursing school. I'll be working full time, going to school full time and trying to study.

I don't know what field you are in but one way is to challenge the CNA certification test after semester 1. If you do that and get a job with a decent hospital they are not only understanding and you can see what you are learning in the practical application, but many hospitals have a scholarship program or a stipend program. For example, where I work- if you are a cna and are making good academic progress, they will allow you to participate in a stipend program. You work 4 shifts a pay period (48 hrs-usually weekends) and they give you full time status with all the benefits and $256 stipend pay per pay period. You then owe them the same amount of time as you took the stipend for after you graduate ( you are still paide competitive wages and given a choice as to specialty etc.) This has helped many a nurse get through school in my area.

I dont know if your area has anything like that but look into it,

Good Luck

Wildflower63 1

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:54 pm
Don't be overwhelmed. This is far from impossible, but expect a wage drop, if you really take your education seriously. If you are smart, you will drive a junker and live in a shared apartment. If you have to study in the library, do it.

People that have to work and go for an education are people that get a break, so start looking for a cheap place to live and don't expect anything but a place to sleep and take a shower. Keep looking until you find that place. Don't expect to live grand or drive a nice car. That all comes later.

It is impossible to get an education now, without giving up what your today job pays, even if you don't think it is enough. If you really want an education, consider it a priority, not your car payment and privacy of living. You will have to give that up.

I am advising this because you appear to be a single person and have only your own bills to worry about. Deal with the lack of income and prioritize your education. You will graduate. You will be able to work full time again. You will have to earn your way, with nursing.

If you can't deal with giving up today's lifestyle, working, then going to class and coming home with a ton of things to stuff into your brain, don't bother going back to school. We can't have it all. I am realistically telling you the life you will live, if you choose education. I don't regret it at all and I lived with a lot for many years to get it.

You think about it long and hard. You can't have it all. You have to prioritize you education above everything and live with it. It isn't easy, but worth it.

Neznu

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:34 am
work and school
I worked as a cna while in school, this helped alot b/c they understood the days I could not work and they also helped pay for it in exchange for a sign on contract after finishing school......look into your local hospitals, kinda like indentured servant :wink:

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Working adult
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 09:05:26