1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Why did you become a Nurse?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Neznu

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
Why did you become a Nurse?
Why did you become a Nurse?
Was it your lifelong dream? or did you think you would make a lot of money?

surfgirl

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
My mother and grandmother were nurses. They inspired me to pursue nursing, definitly not the money!

lblacks640

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:08 pm
always wanted to be a nurse
My family didn't want me to be a nurse. Sister is a teacher Arrow

youngblackrn

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:25 pm
Ever since I can remember I always wanted to do something in the medical field. I never really decided on exactly what until high school. My mom thinks it was my AWESOME Pediatrician who influenced me. And it just so happens I have a lot of medical professionals in my family on both sides. That did not influence me it was just a coincidence and my mom has a lot of medical issues and that did not influence me either, people always think that when they learn of my mothers' illnesses then that is why I'm an RN, but it isn't. It's just something I've always wanted to do.

mjrizzo

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
I got hooked on nursing in the military, I am a medic and was deployed to Kosovo in 00-01, after working in the ER in a combat support hospital I fell in love with the pace and the challenge of nursing, after that it just seemed like a logical fit to become a RN when I got home. Besides there is something about sticking medal and plastic into people that just does it for me Very Happy

ricrn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:38 pm
why i became a nurse
when i was working as a aide i helped a patient who was staing in his doorway holding his oxygen cannula and gasping for air. i took him into his room set him down applied his o2 then held his hand to reassure him that he would be ok. later he thanked me and said thank god you were here! i left that day having recieved the best pay of my life within the year i obtained my license Very Happy

sdrn

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
It's Never Too Late
I've wanted to be an RN since I was a small child. I tried to get into a nursing program after graduation, in my early 20s & again in my 30s. Each time, things happened that just seemed to keep it from happening. There was a nursing shortage by the time I reached my 40s and everything fell into place. I took prereqs. while working, took entrance exams & applied to the nsg. program. I was accepted & began the program sooner than I expected. Seeing the counselor at the college really helped me keep on track and focused. She mapped out a schedule of classes to take.

I was the oldest in my nursing class & I have been an RN for over a year now. I am glad I pursued and realized my dream. I am still working out the kinks, but I know it will grow into a wonderful career in time. There are so many areas to go into!!

The biggest obstacle I have discovered in nursing is the hateful backbighting & clicks amonst many nurses. Although there are many wonderful nurses out there (latch onto one as a new grad), there are many who are not. As unfortunate as it is, many nurses DO EAT THEIR YOUNG! especially if you are kind and reserved or if you go into an ICU area. I have learned to not respect those nurses and move on. Keep going; it gets much better as you reach the year mark!!!

AND do yourself a favor, go into nursing for the right reasons. Don't go into it just for the money. The money is good, but you will not provide good patient care. Sick people do not need to be met with attitude and unkindness when they are in need of just the opposite. Always look at how you would feel if you were in their shoes. You will be old and ill someday yourself and in need of nursing care.

Good luck to any of you who pursue this awesome career.

soon2beRN

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:51 pm
well said !!

I'm graduating in December and cannot wait !! I know there is money to be made and plenty of opportunity, but its the patient care that can be the most rewarding.
I'll keep in mind what you said about the backbiting and try not to fall prey as a GN. :wink:

glenn 17

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 02:20 am
hello
my grandmother is a nurse in Illinois! she is the one who is supporting me in my studies. I am already second year by this time... I am really determined to push-through and pass the board exam. I am doing this to support my family and give them a wonderful life. Rolling Eyes

rascal

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 10:56 pm
i went into nursing because....
i got a job building ambulences with the "guys" and did that for 7 years. I did the job of housekeeping supervisor for 9months. oversaw the whole cleaning part.
then my teenager, 16, got a form of testicular cancer. my childrens hospital had never seen it before. the cancer doctor had to converse often with a doctor in texas. he fought extremely hard for 7 weeks. I almost never left his side. i watched him fight and go through sooo much. I observed doctors whom cared and nurses that cared. And saw the staff up close......in 7 weeks, i only had trouble with one nurse. someone in ICU was stationed 12 hour shifts, and this one nurse showed up--for a total of 20 minutes a shift. yes, i was there but i was afraid i wouldnt know what to do when/if something happened.
well, shawn died 3 years ago. And after I got my mind back a little bit. I entered college. I want to take my experiences, remember my pain only to help someone else. i have struggled financially for years. no, i am not doing it for the money really. I think i would do it even if you didnt pay me. I want to help some kids get well. personally, it would help me to see that. But I can help, i hope, some parents survive when their kids dont make it.
I want to learn my limits so I dont over step them but I want to be available to have empathy, compassion, and an encouraging word for that type of painful experience in the lives of others.
I get to apply for the program june of 06. i look forward to offering love to others while they are in pain.
rascal

HeatherLPN

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:07 am
I'm sorry about your son rascal. You will bring so much to the nursing field.

I became a nurse after working quality control for 9 years and wanting a career change. I started working MR/DD as direct care support, but wanted to go further with it b/c I enjoyed taking care of our clients (most have some physical disabilities too, as well as other mental health issues). Plus, I enjoy the pace and that it's a field where everyone can bring something to the facility b/c of past experience.

And, honestly, it IS a secure field. Maybe not tons of money in it for all that you do, but there are always jobs.

Bossy 1

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
... because I love to give injections and I look good in white!

Seriously, when I realized that I didn't want to pursue biology, nursing was the only field that took all of my credits. After all, my parents money was terrible thing to waste!

Greglim

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 09:00 am
@Neznu,
My name is Purplespider and the reason that I became a nurse is for several reasons. I wanted to help people feel better. I wanted to take care of people. I wanted to help people and show that they are loved and treated well. I wanted to respect people of all ages and understand the medical chart and medical tests. Healthcare is such an exciting field to be in and I wanted to be apart of the medical team because I have always loved watching medical drama shows and how they help other people like General Hospital or Grey's Anatomy. I find those medical shows very fascinating and watching them helps me to do a better job. Thank you.

Kristie5

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 11:27 pm
I don't think I'll make a lot of money. I'm sure that I can be useful for other people. I like to be a nurse. And the reason why I became a nurse is that my granny. She was a nurse and when I was a child she told me the stories of her youth. I really liked her stories.

Greglim

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 06:27 am
@Neznu,
The reason that I became a nurse is for the following reasons:
1. I wanted to help people.
2. I wanted to be work in the healthcare field.
3. I wanted to study a field that is changing all of the time.
4. I wanted to do medical research.
These are the reasons that I became a nurse and I hope that these reasons have inspired you to become one as well.

Greglim

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:26 am
When I went to college and started thinking about my career, nursing was not in my radar of career choices at all. My career counselor helped me choose nursing as a track to study in college. I have loved it ever since. I love nursing because I get to help people feel better. I really never thought about the money aspect of it, but I realized that you can make a good career out of nursing. It depends on what you put in to it.

Greglim

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 09:13 am
@Neznu,
I became a nurse because of one thing: (I like to help people). I enjoy helping people and I also enjoy the aspect of spreading love and joy with people. I also enjoy just talking to people and sharing lots and lots of wisdom and stories.

Greglim

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 07:29 pm
@Neznu,
I became a nurse in order to help people throughout the lifespan. I have been blessed in that I have become a nurse and a teacher as well and I feel that both nursing and teaching go hand in hand because they help people and children to learn new ways into helping the learning process. Nursing is such a gift and I am so thankful to be working in a wonderful profession.

Greglim

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:44 pm
@Neznu,
I became a nurse because I wanted to help people with their life skills. I also do activities with them as well. I love doing both because nursing and activities go hand in hand.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Why did you become a Nurse?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 08/31/2024 at 08:44:54