ethical issues

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » ethical issues

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 02:43 pm
ethical issues
I have to write a short research paper on a nursing ethical issue. Any topic ideas that aren't too broad but not too specific? Thanks for your help.

2542Daniel7

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 06:45 pm
One issue that comes to mind from working in nursing homes: Allowing residents to make choices that may not be the best for them healthwise.
For example( and I realize its not an exciting topic) I've seen some nursing staff basically order residents to eat more at meals, even though the residents apparently didn't want to. I knew of one Occupational Therapist who told the nursing assistents that certain residents couldn't leave the diningroom until they had drank all their liquids. At other nursing homes I've seen other nursing staff continually feed residents who had made it very clear they didn't want any more to eat or drink.
To be clear, I feel all these staff had the residents best interests at heart, and the residents I';m talking about had dementia to some degree However I think they should have respected the residents wishes more.
Personally, I would often try to get a resident to eat or drink more than they said they wanted. But if they made it clear that they didn't want anymore, then I would stop.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » ethical issues
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 08:00:28