CRNA FAQS

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » CRNA FAQS

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Bradley

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 01:54 pm
CRNA FAQS
I often get asked by other nurses about my field. In states like California, where there are fewer CRNAs per capita than in other states, many medical professionals have never even heard of a CRNA. So I have created a short CRNA Frequently Asked Questions List. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I am sure that I or other CRNAs would be glad to answer these questions as well.

What is a CRNA?How do you become a CRNA?
Once you have a Bachelors Degree in Nursing from an accredited educational institution, you get a Masters Degree in Anesthesia. The actual title of the degree may vary from institution to institution. It typically takes two years to complete the program, and you are required to do a class room portion as well as a clinical portion.

What is the difference between a CRNA and an Anesthesia Assistant?
The position of CRNA was created because there was a shortage of Anesthesiologists. Now there is a shortage of CRNAs and Anesthesiologists. Recently, a new specialty has been created called an Anesthesia Assistant. Anesthesia Assistants require a whole lot less training, but as a result the scope of what they are allowed to do is also limited. These people basically assist CRNAs and Anesthesiologists with prepping patients for surgery, and are trained to do just about everything but administer drugs. They basically do a lot of the drudge work, and give CRNAs and Anesthesiologists the ability to spend more time in surgery/administering drugs.

Who do CRNAs report to?
A CRNAs place in every organization is different from facility to facility. CRNAs can either be employed by a hospital or medical group, or they can create their own private practices like physicians.

Those are the most common questions I get. Please let me know if you have more questions.

1abCRNA

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:51 pm
Dear Bradley, you may be the one who can answer my question I have posted. Of the units, MICU, SICU, and CICU, which would better prepare me for becoming a CRNA? I am currently obtaining my BSN.
Thanks

mdroe01

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:50 pm
Question about CRNA
Hey there...this is my first post, so HELLO to all you fellow nurses and future nurses (umm...that would be me, and any other student nurses out there!). I am currenty in a BSN program and am interested in furthering my career as soon as I graduate. I know plenty of people in various fields who have told me that they wish they had IMMEDIATELY went after their masters degrees after their bachelors, because it is so hard to leave a FT job to go back to school, or to go around work hours. This leads me to my question re: CRNA's...isn't it true that you have to have a couple of years of actual ICU or similar experience after you complete your BSN before you can be admitted to the CRNA program? The closest CRNA program to me is U of Cincinnati (I live in KY) and I am almost positive this is the case...but it seems it would be hard to get the experience and then quit, as you would have bills, etc. And, I have heard that CRNA education is quite intense and complex, so working and education juggling may not be a good idea.

ALSO...anyone know about other masters level nursing jobs, such as Family Nurse Practitioner, etc? Any help you can give would be appreciated!

Melissa

SRNAHopeful

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:36 am
The Ups and Downs of CRNA Work
What have you enjoyed most about being a CRNA? What has inspired you? What troubles you?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » CRNA FAQS
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:27:14