Will I be grossed out?

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Will I be grossed out?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:43 am
Will I be grossed out?
I am going to about to go to a college that has one of the best nursing programs. I know I will always have a job, and I really want to do this, but I am afraid of getting grossed out. Needles dont make me queesy anymore, but some other things might. Do most people have these kinds of fears when considering nursing? Do you just get used to it?
Thanks

jeremyrn

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:52 pm
I think it is something you get accustomed to. I had a problem with vomit in nursing school but it's no big deal now.. And I can't count the times I've had to prep a body for veiwing or wipe somebody's a## right before lunch. Don't worry about it. It'll all work out.

Jeremy

malenurse

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:36 am
The more you do it the easier it is. I do believe that you should have a higher level of tolerance for the ugly things.

Wildflower63 1

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:55 am
Most all nurses have something that completely makes their guts heave. You just don't show any sign to the patient or scare them. At best, if you display an emotional reaction towards anything that makes you ill, this is not exactly professional behavior.

Here is the one that make me ill, deep suction of trachs. I don't know why, but I have never gotten used to this, no matter how many times I have done it. I keep the cath sterle and try not to look at the tubing or I feel like throwing up, but I do it anyway, out of patient need. I never react, in front of a patient, ever.

Of course, all nurses have their own dislikes. This is nothing to fear. We are there to help our patients, not scare them or make them ashamed of a physical problem. Show no emotion and catch you breath after leaving the room.

Deal with it, but don't fear it. We all run into things that make us ill.

greta 1

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:50 pm
I agree. There are things that everyone can't get used to and trach suctioning is mine too!!! You'll become accustomed to gross stuff. Not to say it won't gross you out but you'll be able to deal with it. You will be fine.

1. Nurse Forum
  2. » Nursing Talk
  3. » Will I be grossed out?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:41:54